free website stats program Piston Galling | Harley Davidson Forums

Piston Galling

Might of spelled that wrong. My 05 fatboy was bored out from 88 to 95 this past winter and I,ve had nothing but problems since. At 1125 miles after the work was done the engine begin spewing oil out of the breather tubes. The mechanic changed rocker box gaskets,umbrella valves, lowered the operating oil level, Checked the pressure relief valve on the cam plate, oil pump alighnment all seem to be working properly according to him. He finally decided that he needed to tear the top end back down and he told me that he found the rear cylinder gald. What would cause this? I broke it in just like he told me -60/65 the first 500 miles and 70/75 the next 500 miles. Like i said it was about 1125 miles when the problem started. I did start running alittle faster knowing the 1000 mile break in mark had been met. It seems like excessive pressure slowly builds til it pushes it out the breather tubes. Do,es anybody have any suggestions. I,m getting ready to head for South Dakota next week.

I am sure if you performed a cylinder leakdown test, you would find excessive blow-by past the rings. (greater than 10% into crankcase) That would account for the oil being pumped into the air cleaner.

Re: Piston Galding

Supposedly the leak down test was done along with a pressure test.

Another thing, The oil pump May NOT be pumping the oil Back into the oil pan and sumping in the motor, causing the oil to be WHIPPED and out the breathers...

The newer style oil pumps 07 and up Use a better Bigger gerotor oil pump that Solves the sump oil problem in the crank case, IF Your stock pump is not working right....Kit and cam-plate can be bought and the hydraulic change over to new style cam chain tensioners.

Sure Your Not just OVER FILLED on the oil?

that would also do it..

I'm thinking the pressure past the rings..

When are you talking about the leak-down or Compression test??? Just recent?

I would get a second opinion or test it yourself cold crank compression = in both cyls with-in a few lbs.... Just need a pressure gauge set for the HD size Plugs 12mm ands get it done...

Galling could be broken rings or lack of oil, run too hot..

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks for the response. I forgot to mention that a new feuling cam plate, feuling high volume oil pump, S&S .570 gear cams were installed in the overhaul. Builder says he,s rebuilt motors for 30 years and has never run into this problem before. And we thought maybe over filling was causing the problem so he marked my dip stick where he wanted me to keep it and the problem still happens

Yes- new pistons, S&S .570 cams, Feuling camplate, Feuling high volume oil pump

Last edited by a moderator:
You said the engine has already been torn down and the piston/cylinder damage has been found. What does the engine builder say caused it.

I take it that he will stand behind his work since you only have 1K miles on the rebuild.(?)

He has'nt told me yet what he thinks caused the piston damage. I,ll be getting my bike back thursday. He said he reconditioned the cylinder walls and put new pistons in. I dont know if that means the cylinders were bored again or what or even if thats possible. He said feuling recommended that he put a oil vent in the system. And yes he,s been standing behind all the work he,s done to it so far. Seems to be a very honorable person--just cant seem to pin-point the problem

Back