free website stats program piston chatter | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

piston chatter

Thanks for answering so fast guys. Bubbie and Glider we talked before about the noise coming from my engine for the last year. Everything possible was already checked and double checked by more than one mechanic and noone can find the source of the noise; so I have to go inside the top end to try and find the problem. I've been told that with 75k miles on the HD 95 kit there could definitely be enough wear to cause piston slap. So I'll take the heads off and take a "look see". Crankshaft runout was .001 at the cam plate, so that's good. A Harley service manager told me the noise was coming from wear on the cams, but I don't believe that, and everyone I talked to said no way! I would hate to lay out big bucks only to find out the problem wasn't solved. So I guess I have my work cut out for me. Pretty soon it will be too hot to ride here in Phoenix, so a good time to tear it apart.
MY WAY,,,, I would take a compression check on the motor and IF it is in the 160# Plus Range,, close in pressure of each cylinder,(showing higher pressure the better but even in both)

If your pressure is running about there or above, and EVEN,I would Run the bike.

Piston slap By No way would Bother me.... Engines have been BUILT with Piston slap... I know of NO permanent damage from NORMAL piston slap.. CLANKING big time YES...

I think IF MINE either run it this way for a Longer while OR tear into it and
replace ALL,,, cyl, and pistons, Pick out a New cam for ?? your performance (Mild torque), Install new HD Hydraulic KIT, with new inner and outer cam bearings..

With the kit you elevate the Shoe problem and the More Oil pressure and Return On the Upgraded pump..

BUT you have to eliminate "Any problems with the crank and Rods AT this time Or It is a big Waste of Money..

Have a shop CHECK the lower end BEFORE rebuilding the upper end..... A MUST.

signed....BUBBIE

Have you said What Oil you use in the engine?

Did 2 bikes awile back that sucked a throttle plate screw in and lodged in the head,and made a strange racket, didnt do much damage tho, but did need some clean up. Just took the offending head off.

If your lucky, that may be it.:newsmile108:

Thanks for answering so fast guys. Bubbie and Glider we talked before about the noise coming from my engine for the last year. Everything possible was already checked and double checked by more than one mechanic and noone can find the source of the noise; so I have to go inside the top end to try and find the problem. I've been told that with 75k miles on the HD 95 kit there could definitely be enough wear to cause piston slap. So I'll take the heads off and take a "look see". Crankshaft runout was .001 at the cam plate, so that's good. A Harley service manager told me the noise was coming from wear on the cams, but I don't believe that, and everyone I talked to said no way! I would hate to lay out big bucks only to find out the problem wasn't solved. So I guess I have my work cut out for me. Pretty soon it will be too hot to ride here in Phoenix, so a good time to tear it apart.

Hahahah Too Hot. Here in Canada we do our work when it's too cold to ride. Us humans are never happy. HAHAHAHA

For you Northerners, it was 100 degrees here on April 1st! Just a hint of what's on the horizon for us in the near future! Bubbie, maybe you could live with the noise this engine is making, but I can't. It didn't make this noise the first 60k miles, so I know it ain't right now. I agree with all you said I should do, however, I can't afford all that at once. I'll let you all know what I find when I take it apart.

For you Northerners, it was 100 degrees here on April 1st! Just a hint of what's on the horizon for us in the near future! Bubbie, maybe you could live with the noise this engine is making, but I can't. It didn't make this noise the first 60k miles, so I know it ain't right now. I agree with all you said I should do, however, I can't afford all that at once. I'll let you all know what I find when I take it apart.

i'll be very surprised if piston slap is the problem. but i guess i agree take it apart check EVERYTHING

I would be very surprised to see piston slap on a stock motor. Strokers are famous for this mostly from the longer stroke and more angular force on the pistons a tear down should show signs in the barrels if the pistons are in fact slapping

You also build a stroker with a bit looser tolerance to prevent overheating and seizing,just have to put up with the fact that it won't have the longevity of a stock motor.:s

Yep, and most strokers run Forged Pistons Expect more noise:s

Back