free website stats program pillion helmet buffeting and lifting | Harley Davidson Forums

pillion helmet buffeting and lifting

pielkop

hi on my 2014 ultra ltd my wife as pillion (at higher speeds) gets terrible air buffeting from below to the point that helmet is lifting i cannot leave comms on due to wind noise from her. can anyone advise where wind is coming from and how i can cure the issue . i wondered if the heat shields from engine are causing it but i doubt , maybe panniers or ???
any advice would be appreciated

There are a few options to help push the wind above us as we ride.
1. Slow Down, I say this because I know going above 100 my helmet acts like a parachute.
2. Look into a different windscreen.
I have the Windsplitter from HD and it really helps allot to push the air above us.
3. There is a air deflector that mounts on the front top area of the shocks just below the front of the tank. Again this helps deflect air down and away from the riders face.
4. Air deflectors on the front shocks.
I had some on my 13 Ultra LTD also helps to push the wind away from us.

2300006_A.jpg
I believe this is what joel is referring to. I have 1 installed on my Ultra and it made a huge difference in the up draft of air. 27.00 dollars on J&P parts website. Other aftermarket outlets have them as well.

I have installed the side air deflectors and a recurve windshield on my bike and the combination took all of the buffeting away from my passenger

Apreciate all the input.. Wife reckons her helmet is issue but i really doubt and think the side deflectprs may help... Woukd this be issue with the radiators?

Apreciate all the input.. Wife reckons her helmet is issue but i really doubt and think the side deflectprs may help... Woukd this be issue with the radiators?
No. They are fairing mounted

Since her head is above you I would try a different helmet design first. It made a big difference for my wife. she went from full face to 1/2 with pull down visor. We suspect the wind was catching on the bottom of the full face helmet

Back