free website stats program peg vibration on decel to idle '07 Dyna | Harley Davidson Forums

peg vibration on decel to idle '07 Dyna

dynarider

I have noticed a footpeg vibration on deceleration of engine RPM back to idle. It has become quite pronounced in only a couple of rides. I thought it was front fork klunk/looseness being transmitted down the frame, but I noticed while riding today that it is happening a lot if you blip the throttle and let the revs come down to idle. The front fork was snugged up a little bit this morning, and retorqued to 75 ft-lbs as in the 45740-07 Steering Head Washer Kit.

I am slowly going through the 1000 mile service and am wondering if it is a swingarm/rear motor mount looseness. I have a service manual and will check the critical fasteners. Who can tell me the sockets needed for rear fork adjustment? Actually the primary side must get a wrench, but what about the exhaust side? Is it a metric socket or std. and what size?

Any thoughts are appreciated, Thanks!

What I am feeling is a loose, rattley feeling in the front pegs (mid mounts) just before the revs settle down to idle. You have the general vibrations, and then a klunky, rattle such as metal to metal contact.

Today is rainy so I won't ride and will check fasteners. I still do not know what socket/wrench to use on the swing arm bolt & nut. It looks like the rear axle nut which I found a 28mm socket fit.

I have noticed the clunk feeling in the pegs when my rear wheel goes over bumps cruising around town. When the system is loaded on the highway it is less noticeable.

I am thinking it is a rear motor mount.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you checked the exhaust and the brackets that hold it? They have been known to cause a vibe like this.

Have you checked the exhaust and the brackets that hold it? They have been known to cause a vibe like this.

Hmmn, no not yet. I hadn't thought of that. Thanks for the tip Glider!

Otherwise, I need to figure out how to check the mounts. Remove each and look at 'em.

From another forum

"Try this, slow down hard using the rear brake but with the bike in gear and clutch out, if you feel the vibration pull in the clutch, if you still feel it I can't help you but if the vibe goes away with the clutch pulled in I know what may be wrong. There is a clevis pin under the bike that has something to do with the kickstand. the cotter key side of this pin is very close to a case bolt head. Since the Dyna's swingarm is connected to the engine any braking with rear brake pulls the engine backwards flexing the rubber mounts. This flexing moves the case bolt into momentary contact with the clevis pin end where it lets engine vibes telegraph through the frame.. If you jack the motor up a little you can flip the clevis around so the head side is near the case bolt not the cotter side (which is longer) and this flexing wont as likely lead to contact but does make it more of a hassle to r&r this pin later (have to jack up the engine again)."

There isn't much space between the clevis pin and the bolthead in question. I need to stand on my head to see if there are any marks from the parts rubbing together. I wonder if one of my engine mounts is letting the engine move that much.(?) I was getting the "hard vibration" feeling just stopping at traffic lights with hardly any braking.

Back