free website stats program Passed My Sub 40 Degree Test!!! | Harley Davidson Forums

Passed My Sub 40 Degree Test!!!

Dr. Dolittle

Experienced Member
Contributor
Retired Moderators
Just got back from riding about two hours and it only went above 40 degrees the last 10 or 15 minutes of the ride. I'd been using 50 or so as my personal minimum but the new Street Glide kept sitting in the garage mocking me, so out we went!

Wore thicker socks, Under Armour winter/compression shirt under t shirt and lined jacket, cold weather gloves, and I think they call it a balaclava - keeps the neck and chin area nice and toasty. I have chaps but I was so psyched to be heading out I forgot to grab them. Actually, the legs were the ONLY part of me that got even a little chilly and they weren't bad at all.

I'm definitely going to be extending my riding parameters now. I even liked the crazy looks I was getting from the cagers in their perfectly heated environments!

Just got back from riding about two hours and it only went above 40 degrees the last 10 or 15 minutes of the ride. I'd been using 50 or so as my personal minimum but the new Street Glide kept sitting in the garage mocking me, so out we went!

Wore thicker socks, Under Armour winter/compression shirt under t shirt and lined jacket, cold weather gloves, and I think they call it a balaclava - keeps the neck and chin area nice and toasty. I have chaps but I was so psyched to be heading out I forgot to grab them. Actually, the legs were the ONLY part of me that got even a little chilly and they weren't bad at all.

I'm definitely going to be extending my riding parameters now. I even liked the crazy looks I was getting from the cagers in their perfectly heated environments!
Hey Dr. was just out there my self on this side of the woods. It's 49.5* over here, but alot better then yesterday with out all that wind!
Glad you got out and stretched the legs!:yes

Work up to it you can ride in sub zero weather in time.
just try not to get salt on your bike if you do wash it wash it then do it a couple more times.
You will not see the damage for awhile then it is to late.
Still to much ice here to even try.
Ice can form in low spots even in 40 degree weather
15 degrees and damp today here
When it snows here in Georgia, you don't even go out with your 4X4! It's a mess!! Milk, bread, eggs oh and beer! thats all you need to worry about, stock the fridg. and wipe the bike down.

cold weather is not an issue for me, with the correct gear it's worth it! Wife thinks i'm nuts but after 20 years I think she knows what to expect from me.
I do not ride in heavy rains, lite rain is ok but to many darn bad drivers around here to risk it. Plus have to let the truck know i still love it.:s
I get to work pull off the leathers, on goes the "office clothes" Then the owner of the company pulls in on his R/K and does the same! Cool place to work!

First ride today was 30F with a 25 mph wind. No problem with the Gerbing gloves and jacket liner! Second ride was in the low 40sF...it was downright balmy!

Just a matter of layering (and a little electrothermal boost doesn't hurt either!)

Looking forward to warmer weather though. At the end of my first ride I managed to find some salted roads. I had the pleasure of washing the bike in 35F weather. Fortunately I just received a Metro Air Force Blaster which made it a quick job!

I ride a 98 FXSTC with no windshield and 29 degrees is my cut off, below that I have to stop and get a coffee to warm me up a little. I ride rain or shine, I do have a truck but not as fun as riding a bike. I wear a flannel under my jacket, chaps with a leather face mask a helmet liner wich was issued to me in the military and a beanie on top of that with goggles and gloves. 50 minute ride to base. I think I will invest in the heated gloves as with apes it is hard to warm my hands on the cylinders going down the road.

First off, let me say that we don't get much of what you would call "winter" in south central Texas. Nights that reach down to freezing are few and days that stay there are even fewer. Given that, I can say that riding in "bad" weather is mostly a case of dressing for the ride. I too can say that the only things that get cold are my upper legs and I can take care of that if I put on my rainsuit pants to block the wind. My only real limits are heavy rain and ice. If the National Weather Guessers predict rain all day I'll leave the bike in the garage unless I really need to go somewhere. If there is ice on the roads I just plain don't ride. Stupid I am not.

Back in December my wife and I rode over to Blanco, Tx. The temps were in the mid-30's and the wind was gusting to 20+ mph. When we got off the bike on the town square in Blanco my wife said "Where's all the bikes we usually see around here?" I told her "Those guys are (edited) who only ride when the weather is good." I thought she was going to fall down laughing. We were dressed for it. It may not have been the best ride we ever had but it sure was one that we could tell the grandkids about.

Doc, I'd say you have earned the rank of "Biker". There's a lot of talk about what it takes to be a "biker" vs "poser". To me it all comes down to when you ride. It doesn't matter what you ride. The number of tattoos and your clothing don't count. If you walk out on any given day and choose your bike over the cage if there is any possibility that the bike is a reasonably safe way to get there, you are a biker. Pretty simple in my book.

Storm

Last edited by a moderator:
I wear a heavy sweater under my jacket and fleese lined jeans under chaps ski socks and rocky insulated boots.Ive rode in the 20's but my hands get cold

Mine did too until I got the Gerbing heated gloves. Now I wonder why it took me so long to get them.

Back