free website stats program P0572 Brake light low... | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

P0572 Brake light low...

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. This is why I love HDTimeline! Manuals only tell you so much. Real life experience always trumps it. If there is a short in the handlebar wiring harness does that mean I'll have to replace it or is there another way to bypass the affected wire. It's crappy that the switches don't have leads on them so you can test the wires without cutting into them. I'm guessing the harness will not be an inexpensive part from Harley (are any of them?).

Thanks again,

FLHTrider08

Damage to a wire does not automatically mean that the entire harness, or even the sub-harness needs to be replaced. A properly executed repair of the damaged wire will likely last the life of the bike.

Are you sure you didn't damage the front switch? it's very fragile. My 06 Road King had the same symptoms and I had broken the switch changing grips.

So I finally got a day off and have been able to perform some tests. With the rear brake switch disconnected and switch set to ignition there is continuity when the front brake lever is pulled and none when it isn't. With the cables connected to the rear switch there is the same result when pressing the rear pedal but touching the meter leads to the switch contacts. Does this mean the wiring before the rear brake switch and the front switch are ok? Does it mean that the rear switch is bad and or the wiring to the brake light from the rear switch is bad? Thanks for your help in advance.

FLHTrider08
WAP.gif

A little confused on what you are saying. What are you using for testing, a VOM or Test light? I would use a test light with every thing hooked up normal. If testing from the rear brake switch there would be light on one side but not the other. When rear brake applied you would have light on both sides. Now to confuse you, with the rear brake NOT applied, take the light and find the side that Does Not light the light. With it there, pull the front brake lever and the light should light. The front brake light circuit is on the Load side of the rear brake light, or the Bulb side if you want to look at it that way. If you have light on both sides of the rear switch with nothing(brakes) being applied then you have a short in the wiring some where. It could be coming from the front switch or under the rear fender from tire rubs or the such. I need to re-read your post. If I have another idea I'll re-post.
tourbox

If you disconnect the wires on the rear brake lamp switch and the brake light is still on, the problem is in the front switch.

A short will not cause the light to illuminate, it will cause the fuse to blow.

A short is when the circuit shorts to ground, before the component.

Disconnect the two wires from the rear switch, if the light stays on, the light is being powered by the front switch.

Check it with a voltmeter if you want...

One of the wires you disconnected from the rear brake lamp switch will always have power (the orange/white wire).

The other wire you disconnected from the rear brake lamp switch will only have power when the front brake lamp switch is activated.

Stop thinking short, unless you are blowing fuses it is not a short.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks FLST89. I do have a bad front switch based on some testing yesterday. I will try to hunt down a switch at the stealer in the morning but I've read they can be pricey. I've found them online but would have to wait for them to ship. Thanks for the advice.

The dealer wants $90CDN ($80USD) for the front brake switch. I found one on eBay for $35 with shipping, I just have to wait for it. We already have snow so it's not too big of a deal as my riding season is now over. I'll let you know how it all works out. Thanks again to everyone for their excellent help and patience!

Is there not a definite way to disassembly right switch cover and pinning brake light switch so that it does not break??????

Harley Davidson Forums
Look here it will explain about the front brake light switch

After reading this thread I'm still not sure you are assembling/disassembling the right switch housing correctly. You need to get the brake lever detent out of the switch by inserting some cardboard (folded matchbook) 5/32 thick in the gap(brake lever pulled) between brake lever & lever bracket.

Jack posted a link but it is hard to follow. I copied it here.
See attached page 2.

View attachment 14910d1377550410-installing_chrome_h_d_switch_housings-j00445_2 (1).pdf

Just don't want you wreck the new switch is all.

I got a new Performance Machines front brake switch from eBay and installed it yesterday. It wasn't too bad to install but I'm glad my Dad was there as an extra set of hands while soldering the wires. I'm just glad it's fixed. We've had snow on the ground for a while now so I can't ride but I'm sure the problem with the cruise control will be fixed too. Anyway, plans are in place to get a 2015 FLHXS in the spring.

Thanks again to everyone for their help and suggestions. I learned a few things and this just reinforced how great HDtalking is.

FLHTrider08

Back