free website stats program over revved 1340 | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

over revved 1340

I've been held up trying to remove the starter bolts.After trying to remove them with with a 3 piece home fashioned tool and then dropping the 1/4" drive bit twice and having to fish around to get it back out am gonna call it a day till tomorrow and i will braise the 3 parts together at work- couldn't buy any extended bits locally today -so wished i hadn't sold my welding gear now....never mind,tomorrow is another day eh!

Those bolts can be a wee bit tricky to get to I use 3/8" square drive wobble extensions short medium and long extensions and fiddle about a bit to get the allen fully seated and after 20 years of being there the bolts sometimes do not want to move
A wee bit of heat on the inner primary where the bolts screw in and a hand impact driver on the end of the extensions and perhaps some grunting got mine moving
good luck

Brian

image_20386.jpg

These are time savers, cheap @ harbor freight
Mine are Snap Ons, bought years ago when no one else made them

thanks guys,i just couldn't leave it alone so i went out to said garage and used loctite on the various joints-same stuff that you can use on splines when you have a little wear-worked a treat.Got the two bolts out after loosening the oil tank brackets for a bit of extra clearance.One positive cable is attached to the stud and the other connection is a green wire with a small brass connector on the end-anyhow didn't matter how i hooked up my bikes battery,i couldn't get it to energise,but will take it in for testing today-fingers crossed that its just the starter!

well i took the starter to work and the lads managed to get it to energize,so when i got home i reinstalled the starter ,hooked everything back up,popped the primary on with 3 bolts just so the starter end could get support and proceeded to hit the starter-nothing ,nobody home! I wondered if there was any chaffing or such at the the throttle clamshell as this bike came with hidden wiring and wouldnt you guess it,as soon as i released the clamshell halves and wiggled on the bar horizontally,i i got dash lights that were constant[didnt dim when starter pushed] but it still didnt start.All i got was a click from this relay under the seat.initially when i found that there was some kind of a break in the wire or short up at the handle bar,both my lady and i felt a weight lift off ourselves,however when it didnt start , we lost a bit of that refresh! Not quite sure what to look at next but i guess at least its a form of progress.

With the ignition on jump across the starter @ the solenoid it should start, if it does your problem is up stream

It sounds like an electracal issue rather than a mechanical one. I know you dont want to hear this but i never dismount my bike first with a passenger on board and i always mount up before they crawl on especially with it running. I hope you get the problem resolved.

You learned a hard lesson about troubleshooting starting problems...Leave the starter in the bike until you have eliminated everything else. It is almost never the starter.

Put your hand on the starter, press the start button, do you feel any movement in the starter?

Get out your voltmeter, touch the negative probe to the negative battery post, touch the positive probe to the small terminal on the starter, press the start button and read the voltage. You should be reading 12v (all starter wiring connected of course).

This will tell us which direction to go next...

Why not just replace the relay. When trying to start before it seems that power was getting to relay but not starter for the lights were dimming with n starter noise.....

Why not just replace the relay. When trying to start before it seems that power was getting to relay but not starter for the lights were dimming with n starter noise.....

Why not use some systematic troubleshooting procedures, and only replace the parts that are found to be defective?

The OP has already thrown a new starter at the problem.

Back