free website stats program ...or is it just me??? | Harley Davidson Forums

...or is it just me???

T wrecks

The other day while writing to Steve07, who lives in Ontario, I was reminded about an incident that happened to us while driving from Boston to Ottawa in 2005. We were in the US heading north, about 25 miles south of Niagra Falls, when we spotted a farmers stall selling fruit, on the road right out in front of their farm. While chatting to the woman serving us, I mentioned we were quite excited about seeing the Falls that day. Yes, she said, I've heard they're quite spectacular. I laughed, then realised she was serious. She had lived in that area all her life, and had never travelled an hour north to see one of the worlds natural wonders. We found that quite amazing.......or is it just me??? :newsmile099:

I guess you can live next to a mountain and never see the top. Maybe she's afraid of water. Some might think the falls are a wonder, while others view it as not an important issue. My dad has lived in Las Vegas for 25 years now and has never seen Hoover Dam. He's 86. I always ask him when I visit if he'd like to go and see the dam. His reply is always the same. Why. I've seen it on T.V. Why waste my time. Things that are amazing to some, don't even catch the eye of others. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many years before Ronald Reagan became president he visited Ireland and met an old boy from the area where his ancestors originated, they talked for a while and then Reagan went back to the U.S. When he became president he had another trip back to Ireland, the press knowing of his previous trip many years before tracked down the old boy to whom Reagan had orignally met and asked him would he like to meet up with Ronald Reagan again as he is now the president of the U.S. The old boy's reply was, "why!, I already met him".
The older generation are blessed with an abundance of common sense, maybe the old lady you met could'nt see what all the fuss was about water falling.:D

A few years after my father-in law died my mother -in law got a new boyfriend she had met at the Legion,a few months after they had been going out we decided to treat them to dinner at the lobster trap in Toronto,60 miles from home.On the way there he was marvelling at how things had changed and how all of the open spaces were gone.I finally asked him when the last time he had been there? He told me that after WW2 They landed at camp Borden and took a bus through Toronto and since then had stayed in Kitchener the furthest he ventured in 50yrs. was to Stratford after his daughter moved there.15miles from home!

Kinda makes you appreciate each and everyday we take the time and ride our Harley's...! Yeah, it would be easier to stay home and turn on a switch to see the world, (we're at work 8 hours a day...if we are "lucky" in this day an age). But why spend your valuable free time offlline (you are on HDT reading this so that is okay) so hopefully this is after your ride and not in a fixed Barco-lounger consuming all your free time.

GET OUT AND RIDE and share the dream with others...I for one am not looking forward to the time I won't be able to ride my Harley and do recreational things, this is not a want, it is a NEED...

I grew up 60 miles from Niagara Falls and lived in that area for 21 years. Never been there the whole time. I did go there about 18 years later (from across the country) with some friends and enjoyed it.
I lived in Arizona for over 20 years and never went to the Grand Canyon. I'm just not real big on the tourist traps. There are many other places to visit that have more elbow room.

im with T on e the natural wonders of the world has to be worth seeing the only thing i disagree with is paying to see, my wife is the same had never been to Scotland or Cornwall - she has now

My wife has relations in Nuneaton near you Hobbit and because they used to have a son and his family who lived here in Queensland, have been here four or five times. But like your wife, they haven't been to places like Scotland, Ireland, most of the UK, or Europe (my favourite place on the planet). My wife and I enjoy travelling, our favourite pastime really, but as these posts indicate, each to their own!! :yahoo

Last edited:
Pictures don't do justice to places like the Grand Canyon or the Niagra Falls. Even Gettysburg has to be seen to be appreciated. Some folks could care less and that is their right. Me, I am going to go and see.

GET OUT AND RIDE and share the dream with others...I for one am not looking forward to the time I won't be able to ride my Harley and do recreational things, this is not a want, it is a NEED...

Could'nt agree more, every so often I ride across to the west coast and just sit and watch scenes like this one, theres a lot of beauty on every ones doorstep and best of all its free.

CIMG1115.jpg

Many years before Ronald Reagan became president he visited Ireland and met an old boy from the area where his ancestors originated, they talked for a while and then Reagan went back to the U.S. When he became president he had another trip back to Ireland, the press knowing of his previous trip many years before tracked down the old boy to whom Reagan had orignally met and asked him would he like to meet up with Ronald Reagan again as he is now the president of the U.S. The old boy's reply was, "why!, I already met him".
The older generation are blessed with an abundance of common sense, maybe the old lady you met could'nt see what all the fuss was about water falling.:D

Nah! She had local knowledge - she know her scoot would rust something awful if she rode over them. :D

Back