free website stats program optimate | Harley Davidson Forums

optimate

gunnut

I been taking for granted my optimate battery maintanence doohicky,and have just begun to wonder what it all means.That is to say,I know it doesnt"top-up" the charge everytime you plug it in in the literal sence,and it "de-sulphates"before it goes into its cycle.
I guess what I'm asking,is how exactly does the thing work,and how come its so good for the battery,and just what does it do when it "de-suphates"?

I have 1 in each shed and always have them on and bikes attatched seem to be ok at looking after my batteries

Brian

I been taking for granted my optimate battery maintanence doohicky,and have just begun to wonder what it all means.That is to say,I know it doesnt"top-up" the charge everytime you plug it in in the literal sence,and it "de-sulphates"before it goes into its cycle.
I guess what I'm asking,is how exactly does the thing work,and how come its so good for the battery,and just what does it do when it "de-suphates"?

Battery Desulfation - Storage here is a very good read on battery desulfation

The previous posts answer the question...sulphation is the buildup of sulphate crystalline coating that raises the internal resistance of the plates so that "normal" charge voltage/current cannot overcome and properly charge the cell. The desulfation process is to a apply a higher voltage, current limited and pulsed resonant charge to help break thru the high resistance, allowing the cells to accept a charge.

The neat thing (for some of the "technoids" like me) is Jack found an electrical schematic/parts list to make such a charger, for those who want to try the rejuvenation process which does work as long as the sulfation has not remained for too long, or the crystals have settled to the bottom and shorted out the cells.

Good one BoDeen,got me giggling real well!
And thank you the rest of you as always,on the case and helpfull to the end.

Kewv,didnt give it a thought till I plugged it back in after the ride,then I got to wondering about the mysteries of the universe so to speak,and thie forum is a perfect place to get answers to all your 'cicle' queries likety split!

Back