free website stats program One cylinder sportster? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

One cylinder sportster?

I will try the test again. I was using the old rubber tip guage you have to hold down while cranking. I did find another problem. The previous owner put a mikuni carb on it and when he did he neglected to hook up the VOES. I hooked that up and it made a world of diff. I need to put new plugs in it as they are fuel fouled pretty bad. I need to see if it's the carb now or if the timing was causing it to foul them. It's actually just the front cylinder that is fouling.

I run a 120 ultima motor and they call for taping the voes wire off not grounding it and i have a mikuni on it but trust me on this one by opening thr throttle i bet you read at least 120 let me know,jel

All very good words. I got to checking and found that the [prvious owner had added the Mikuni carb which is ok, BUT! He neglected to hook up the vacume line for the voes. I found it sticking straight up under the tank. I got a 1/4 inch vacume T and hooked it up, Changed the plugs and it runs like a raped ape. I knew it acted like it was out of time, but without a manuel I didn't have a refference point. Thank you all very much for the words of wisdom. All filed away with great appreciation.

glad to here youve found your problem and got it going
thats the first step to getting to know your bike really well
im sure that on a bike of that age youll get lots more steps in soon

Brian

Hey Fin....I don't think I needed those paticular words of encoragment...lol. Probably very true tho. But thats ok. I work on alot of my own stuff so this is just a new learning experience. I'm already getting educated.. HAHA

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you got it all sorted, I feel your pain when working on sticky problems with previous workmanship issues. :newsmile022:

Back