free website stats program On-road tire repair kit? Which one? | Harley Davidson Forums

On-road tire repair kit? Which one?

colnajoe

Going back to my cycling passion, manual hand pumps to repair a puncture in a tube are still used, but not by many. Since CO2 cartridges came into the picture, why wouldn't you use them? Small, almost idiot proof (OK, I've screwed up a couple over the years), and pretty inexpensive at a bike shop. I read that three 16gm cartridges can fill a Harley tire.

So....At the HD shop yesterday, I saw a kit offered there that apparently attaches an air line to a cylinder that has a plug removed, and compression fills the tire. Is this true? Does it work? Cant see why anyone would choose that over the CO2. I see a number of problems that could result from that way of inflating a tire. I am planning a number of long trips and I see the value of carrying one. HD wanted 50 for the air line type, and I saw the CO2 type else where for 30. These kits seem to carry all the same reamers, pluggers, patches, glue ect......

Love to hear pros and cons cause I have no idea what works best out there on the road when you really NEED it to work.

I have a Co2 type and it's ok. Two things I don't like about it. The cartridge gets SUPER cold when activated, and if the cartridge gets punctured and it's not perfectly seated (easy to do) you lose all the gas. Some say they don't want gas in the tire from the hose that screws into the cylinder. I don't see that as much of a problem. A friend of mine has the compact HD compressor and it seems to work ok. I carry a larger Campbell Hausfield 12v. Which ever you use, you will be glad you have one if you ever need it.
Compact Air Compressor with Light | Genuine Motor Accessories | Harley-Davidson USA

Although i may be wrong here i would have thought that the fuel air mixture coming from the plug hole would not have been all that good for the inside of the tyre and would also be a wee bit explosive

Brian

Check the description / directions of the pump that works off the cylinder carefully. The one that Aerostitch sells, (and I bet the one you are looking at) uses the compression of the engine to draw in fresh air from an inlet on the attachment, and fills your tire with that air, not a fuel / air mixture.

Having said that, the co2 cartidges are easy. However, I would use it every once in a while to make sure it works. I have one for my bicycle, and it had been a while since I had a flat. When I went to use my co2 cartridge holder / valve, the trigger mechanism seemed sticky, and I really had to fiddle with it to get the co2 released into the tire. I was able to make it work on a bicycle wheel I could hold in my hands, but I don't know if I could have put the pressure on it like I needed to if I was laying underneath an 800 pound touring bike with hard saddle bags and a brake disc in the way.

I have a standard puncture repair kit and the HD compressor that plugs right into your battery tender pigtail. Works fine in a pinch.

something a little different but saved me a few times. I carry a mushroom plug repair kit and then I have about 10 feet of airhose with filler nozzels on each end. take a little air out of each of 4 tires on a car or semi truck tires and your back up and running.works like a charm...critter

while on the subject. What type tire gauge do you use. The standard 5-6 inch one I have and the little subby one I have are casuing me fits getting to the inflation valves. the stick either hits my hand or the brake disc.

I definitely need to check into the CO2 system.

Back