free website stats program Older HD radios | Harley Davidson Forums

Older HD radios

Hi, new here to hdtimeline. Does anyone out there have a user guide for the radio's that came stock on a 1989 electraglide? Would like to know if this radio has an aux feature. There seem to be additional wire coming out the back of this radio that don't have corresponding hookups on the bike. The handlebar controls work just fine but was wondering if these additional wires are for hooking up aux equipment, say for instance an ipod. Any help and maybe a user guide for this radio would be greatly appreciated....Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum! Are these wires RCA female type or are they just capped wires?

oh yea, there also seems to be one with a kind of svideo looking connection its round with what looks to be 5 pins. And by the way, thanks for the quick response. New here but like what I see so far.

If the two are RCA type connectors, the next thing to figure out is if the radio has some sort of switch or button that switches to the "Aux" input. If you find that then I would try hooking an Ipod to the RCA jacks and trying it.
Not sure about the 5pin.

I took a picture of the wiring in question. There was another wire simular to the dark blue one with the light green stripe, this one is green with a blue stripe. The radio works well and handle bar controls function as well. Do you know if this radio has the hi way function that turns the radio down when you stop? There seem to be corresponding wires (same color and stripe) for the two single wires in the mess of wires in the fairing, the light green one seems to be coming out of the tach? maybe? Do you know the manufacturer of this radio, maybe I can download a user manual and maybe just maybe a wire schematic. Oh yea, pic is in my profile, only one there so you won't have any problem finding it. Thanks again for any info you may be able to give me.

From 1988-2005 Radio Sound manufactured the radio's for HD
I think that now they manufacture for Victory.
Here is the info. on them

Radio Sound, Inc.
1713 Cobalt Drive
Louisville, KY 40299
Phone: 502-267-6768
Fax: 502-267-6794

I don't have a manual for '89 but my 91-92 manual says a W/GN from radio should go to the Speedo for AVC(automatic volume control).It should be on the Reed switch on the rear of the speedo near top. It should also go to the cruise control connector. I don't see any other W/GN off of the speedo. Your 5 pin is probably for CB unit. The other wires could be for rear speakers. The Electra Glide did not come with rear speakers or a CB. they could be added later. The Electra Glide Standard did not come a radio, but the wiring was there to add later if customer wanted it. Couldn't find your pic in profile. Hope this helps a little
tourbox

Thanks, Hopefully with the info on the manufacturer of the radio and the info from you guys I'll be able to completely hook up the radio. It's working now, just wanted to be sure everything was working and without you guys I wouldn't have hooked up the control to lower the volume. Sorry about the wild goose chase for the pic. I uploaded it, just not sure where it went. Ya'll have been really nice and helpfull and I really appreciate the info. I never owened a bagger before and some of the systems look like greek to me. Gettin' a little older and the extra comfort of a bagger is getting more and more appealing. Love my dyna FXD and I just know I'll love riding the electra glide. I'll post some pic's when I get it on the road. (if I can figure out how hahaha) Thanks again....C

Back