free website stats program Ok to switch before first service? | Harley Davidson Forums

Ok to switch before first service?

jps01

Ok. After perusing the oil suggestions for harleys thread (Excellent by the way Glider -this is based solely on your article) I have decided to go with the Spectro 6 speed in the trans since 1- the dealer has Syn3 in there fresh out of the crate and 2- it sounds like a shotgun every time I change gears. I don't mind paying the extra $ for this type of thing especially if it'll save larger amounts later on so my question is:
Is there any reason either mechanically or warranty related that would (should) prevent me from changing the trans fluid out myself prior to its first service?
All opinions, suggestions and 'shut the heck ups' are welcome

As a footnote I had the stealer install the forward controls on the bike, HANDED them a quart of Formula+, and watched them put it in so no S3 in the primary any more.

Ok. After perusing the oil suggestions for harleys thread (Excellent by the way Glider -this is based solely on your article) I have decided to go with the Spectro 6 speed in the trans since 1- the dealer has Syn3 in there fresh out of the crate and 2- it sounds like a shotgun every time I change gears. I don't mind paying the extra $ for this type of thing especially if it'll save larger amounts later on so my question is:
Is there any reason either mechanically or warranty related that would (should) prevent me from changing the trans fluid out myself prior to its first service?
All opinions, suggestions and 'shut the heck ups' are welcome

As a footnote I had the stealer install the forward controls on the bike, HANDED them a quart of Formula+, and watched them put it in so no S3 in the primary any more.

No reason at all but depending on your dealers "attitude" towards working on your own bike, that's about the only thing I can see. Also the spectro is red (6 speeds) and the syn 3 isn't so they would know if they did a trans service at the 1000 mile check which I really don't think they do.

I change my fluid more frequently than the recommended schedule. When I take it in for service, I just tell the dealer not to do the fluids. They discount the service fee appropriately and have no issues with it.

In my experience, you gotta watch those $tealer service depts. like a hawk. Took my new Fatty in for it's "free" 1000 mile service. Supposedly all fluids were changed. A day after I got it home I switched the trans. fluid to Spectro 6 Speed Platinum gear lube. The fluid that came out of the trans. was full of metal flecks, and there was fuzz on the drain plug, so I KNOW they didn't change it. I didn't call them on it, but I will NOT go back to that shop.

Thanks for all the insight folks. I knew there wouldn't be issues except for possibly the blatant color diff between the fluids IF the dealer changed it in the first place. I'm under the impression that dealers will only do what benefits THEM anyhow. I was shooting for the Spectro under the advice of Glider but unfortunately no one in middle Georgia deals with it so it's going to be either Redline or Amsoil. Besides, much like Clay, the dealership will not see me again since the forward controls incident.

Agaian. Thanks for the guidance. I knew I joined the right one...

In my experience, you gotta watch those $tealer service depts. like a hawk. Took my new Fatty in for it's "free" 1000 mile service. Supposedly all fluids were changed. A day after I got it home I switched the trans. fluid to Spectro 6 Speed Platinum gear lube. The fluid that came out of the trans. was full of metal flecks, and there was fuzz on the drain plug, so I KNOW they didn't change it. I didn't call them on it, but I will NOT go back to that shop.

I think you should call them on it and explain even if you don't go back there. As an owner, I would like to know if the customer wasn't happy with the service.
It may have been the parts washing kid that worked on your bike and took the extra quart home for his bike. I hate to be like this but have seen it happen more often than I would like to see. Always pays to do your own services.

Don't get me wrong here Glider and Smitty. I'm not 'not going back' for any other reason than this dealers 'service department ethics'. I'll continue to get genuine parts and frequent the front of the store. The back is where I have the issue. I won't get into the details but the bike had 218 miles on it when I took it back to em with a busted pressure plate. All of a sudden - not a warranted part because 'I' didn't adjust the clutch correctly and THEY installed it. Now a $300 FC kit turns into a grand and 2 weeks of good riding time lost. I did call them on it but because I trailered the bike to the house they can't be held accountable. Apparently no test ride at the dealer? So now this begs the questions... Did they torque everything? Use blue Loktite when the book calls for red? Did the parts washing kid have a hangover?:p The trust factor is very hard to get back...
Now I've been retired from the military for a little over a year now and every time I screwed up I fessed up. I believe there SHOULD be some of that out there in the rest of the world don't you?

Don't worry. You'll NEVER see my ride on any lift at Wal-Mart...:D

Sounds like a very sloppy operation at that dealer and I wouldn't blame you for not going back. Maybe a nice stiff letter explaining these things would be in order to the right people including the dealer too.:s

Done and done Glider. H-D Corp and the dealership both got the same letter. I guarantee that my bike will not see the back of that shop again though. Don't insult the cook - you never know what you'll find under the bun.

Back