free website stats program Oil weeping | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil weeping

mqhybrid

Im am pretty sure this is normal so. Just like a second opinion. When i ride my 09 street glid there oil is coming from my air cleaner. I do not have the stock one on the bike i have the screaming eagle big sucker air cleaner. not the regular scream eagle air cleaner. i have noticed more so when the bike is really hot riding all day then short rides. i have been told its normal for these motors. i have not ever seen it on my fatboy but agian it has a diff air cleaner on it.

My old shovel pukes oil in the air cleaner and I did some checking and I found that Harley sales parts to newer bikes that help to control the problem, but that's all I know.

not red and oil level is good. Sorry i posted worng its not from the air cleaner element its from the air cleaner housing where it bolts to the cylinder block. i know if it was coming from the air cleaner i would have a big problem

Last edited:
Is it a Screamin Eagle or is it Arlen Ness Big Sucker. Two different air cleaners but you shouldn't have that problem regardless which one you have.

Here's some info I found. A guy with the same problem w/ an '08. I'm not an expert myself and do not know the guy that gave the following info:

If traveling speeds over 70-75, crankcase venting from heads will appear from the aircleaner cover, by design. Not abnormal. Not a great design. There are better aircleaner housings out there with better venting designs to prevent this.

A lot of other guys recommended a kit.

There are smarter guys than me on this site though that might be more helpful.

Sometimes if you over fill your engine it will come out the vent tubes in your aircleaner housing

After checking the install and finding it to be right. I noticed on the diagram that smitty posted for me that in the picture the caps with the o-rings had two 0-rings on each caps. when checking mine i found to only have one o-ring and no grove for a second o-ring. I talked to my local dealer for new o-rings and caps and found that harley has changed the caps from the one o-ring to two rings. Wonder way they did this. I after i replaced these parts i think my problem will be solved thanks!

Generally unannounced, you will find many HD parts go through "revision level changed." My 2004 replacement starter clutch is now on rev C, with a new bearing and seal part numbers (don't know if there is a change in the hidden actuating parts, and my ignition module is on rev B (it is sealed in potting material). Improvement is a sign that there was a problem that was subsequently fixed.

Back