free website stats program Oil Temps | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Temps

They don't sell an analog dipstick for the 96 TC Dyna do they?
All I have seen are digitals.

I think that the analogue temp gauges work by using the expansion of the dipstick to create the reading and as such the dipstick needs to be fixed to the gauge
on my Dyna the dipstick is on a sort of swivel so that it can get down into the oil tank and that would make it more difficult to make the gauge as it would need a sensor and a gauge and power supply and would end up very expensive digital read outs consume i think less power and are cheaper to produce
But i am no expert in this area

Brian

I think that the analogue temp gauges work by using the expansion of the dipstick to create the reading and as such the dipstick needs to be fixed to the gauge
on my Dyna the dipstick is on a sort of swivel so that it can get down into the oil tank and that would make it more difficult to make the gauge as it would need a sensor and a gauge and power supply and would end up very expensive digital read outs consume i think less power and are cheaper to produce. ..... ....Brian

Yea I think that must be it. I have an oil cooler and a Lenale fan so the oil temp gauge would only be for curiosity. But I've heard the digital dipsticks have problems with the battery going bad. So I guess I will just do without it. I could tee an electric temp sensor off the oil pressure switch outlet but I already have an oil pressure gauge line coming out of the tee and don't want to overload a 3 way tee and risk vibration failure of the tee.
Thanks for the reply.

NO dip stick therm, I no longer check the oil tank oil temperature.

Most oil specs show tests over 400 F ??

I never saw it over or even at 230 degrees on the oil temp dip stick.
Just another $$$ gimmick.

From H D Manual:
NOTE
"Engine oil should be at normal operating temperature
(230° F/110° C) for an accurate reading.
6. Oil pressure should be 30-38 PSI (207-262 kPa) at 2000
RPM and normal operating temperature."

Al

:USA
:CONNECTICUT

Ishmael,

I'm glad you asked this question, so far, lots of interesting answers! I also have an analog temperature/dipstick. It's comforting to read the temperatures I'm seeing are in the range of others.
One of the more wise members here suggested an Oil Pressure Gage is a better monitor of engine health. I'll be installing one for my bike in the future.

Ishmael,

Some thing else I've recently found out... the Oil Temp/Dipstick is difficult for me to read, even with my glasses. There isn't much contrast between the oil and the 'stick. Just changed the oil yesterday and it's very clean, hard to see. Much easier to read with the original 'stick.

On my 02 Sporty, I had one that went into the filler spout and replace the standard version. For my RG, I was thinking about getting one to replace the air temp gauge. Then I came across this guy's work. So I'm tempted to see if the FL version works.

Electra Gilde Thermastat

Back