free website stats program Oil temperature dipstick | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil temperature dipstick

I have one of the early style electronic dip sticks and its in my tool box drawer. Theres a reason its there instead of on my bike!! Junk I hope the new ones are better, the price I see is higher too

Yes all oils in the crank case or in a dry sump tank are going to be the same temperature as the outside ambient or even higher. I know you said that they were in the shade but if they are sitting in the sun on a black top they are going to get on up there in the temperature well above ambient because of how well the crank case/oil tank conducts heat. Hope this helps.

Right. And all that big iron holds the heat for a while. I have come back to my bike after several hours in the garage, and the engine/tranny are still warmer than the ambient temperature. Those bikes with the oil tank connected to the tranny will hold the heat in the oil longer than those with a remote oil tank (like yours Joy). But you still get the radiant heat from those big heat sinks.

TQ

After running the RK at highway speed for a hour or so, the temps were 225-230F. The mechanic at the dealer said that was normal.

My 06 1200 runs 180 - 220 most of the time. One day last summer I ran at 80 - 90 mph for about 20 miles and my temp went up close to 140, as soon as we slowed down to around 70 mph the temp came back down. Must be it needs a 6th gear for long high speed runs...

Right. And all that big iron holds the heat for a while. I have come back to my bike after several hours in the garage, and the engine/tranny are still warmer than the ambient temperature. Those bikes with the oil tank connected to the tranny will hold the heat in the oil longer than those with a remote oil tank (like yours Joy). But you still get the radiant heat from those big heat sinks.

TQ

Thanks TQ & RKC......the FL trip was some of the hottest weather I've had the princess in. :D

My 06 1200 runs 180 - 220 most of the time. One day last summer I ran at 80 - 90 mph for about 20 miles and my temp went up close to 140, as soon as we slowed down to around 70 mph the temp came back down. Must be it needs a 6th gear for long high speed runs...

Not being a "smarty-britches" here - but - I'm not sure if I follow your post here.?? Sorry!!

With Amsoil in the tank mine runs 175 - 200, although I have the external cooler kit installed. The highest I've seen is 210 standing still in a bad traffic (no split available) in 105 degree weather.

Last saturday rode from orlando to daytona. Neighbor has 07 nightrain and had 2 up. both heavy. It was 95-100 whole day. His was running right around 250. His bike has v&h pipes, stage one breather and download. Running amsoil in engine.

Dont have a stick in mine yet but plan on getting one.

Back