free website stats program Oil temp after installing Dakota Digital temp gauge | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil temp after installing Dakota Digital temp gauge

The digital LCD level has 4 bars, my oil level is on bar #2, in the middle. I just had service 3 weeks ago. Before the service the level was up to the top on bar #4 and temp was around 270. I assume 2 bars is ok because dealer filled it up to correct level.
Your digital LCD oil gauge has a chart that shows proper oil levels.
A lot of levels.

For a reasonable reference point, ride and warmup, let idle for 30 seconds and turn the bike off. Immediately insert a quality meat thermometer into the oil tank and take a reading.

The oil at the top of your oil tank is extremely close the the actual operating temperature. I believe you will find the operating temperature considerably lower that what your temperature gauge reads.

I have 2013 FLSTC stage 1 with V&H big shots, it has Harley digital dipstick which shows level and temp. I just check the temp when stopped after a ride, it shows 272.

The digital LCD level has 4 bars, my oil level is on bar #2, in the middle. I just had service 3 weeks ago. Before the service the level was up to the top on bar #4 and temp was around 270. I assume 2 bars is ok because dealer filled it up to correct level.
Have you checked the oil level? Just curious as some dealers have questionable ethics

What chart? I got no chart with my bike. Where do I get it from?
It was on the sheet of instructions that came with the gauge itself.

I've had two of these LCD oil gauges and both came with instructions and a chart.

If you can't find it or threw it away, year dealer can print out the sheet.

Thanks all for the comments, even though the bulk of responses say not to worry that 260-270 is just what my bike runs, I think I'll have it looked at just to be safe. Other specs I did not mention are Stage 1 with Screamin Eagle Tuner, dyno, and Freedom Performance tru duals. However, the dyno was done with a different set of tru duals.
WAP.gif

Thanks all for the comments, even though the bulk of responses say not to worry that 260-270 is just what my bike runs, I think I'll have it looked at just to be safe. Other specs I did not mention are Stage 1 with Screamin Eagle Tuner, dyno, and Freedom Performance tru duals. However, the dyno was done with a different set of tru duals.
WAP.gif

HEY Franka,

:D REMEMBER you are up in Seattle Wa. and the temps there right now are Above normal I hear...:D

You might try an oil cooler on that ride of yours IF you don't have one.?.?

I found on my 09 FLHR up there in Wa. , it TOO ran hot on the very Sunny days.

IF you don't have a Oil Cooler Installed, I'd get one.

I use a 6 row Jagg with the Automatic thermo unit that fits in front the oil filter NEATLY coming out with the two hoses and I mounted my cooler on the Left Front Down-tubes... A Perfect fit, looks great, out of the way, getting a lot of Air and does a good job here in HOT Az.

I TRULY Needed it and should have had it on while up in the Washington area.... :s

Enjoy your great NW weather. It is NOT always as good as it is right now,,,, Is It?

Oyster Run com'n up.....:D

signed....BUBBIE

It was on the sheet of instructions that came with the gauge itself.

I've had two of these LCD oil gauges and both came with instructions and a chart.

If you can't find it or threw it away, year dealer can print out the sheet.

The dealer fitted it for me when I got the bike. No instructions were supplied. I asked for all instruction sheets etc, I was there was nothing else. Their mechanic must have thrown it away.

Back