free website stats program Oil tank *suddenly* too full | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil tank *suddenly* too full

Chances are it would come out the overflow tube in the carb(being that its not obstructed) before it would go in the intake.

Tell me you haven't "topped up" the oil after reading the dipstick on a cold engine.:small3d009:

I'm not saying, I'm just saying.:newsmile105:

Oil and filter change is good. Check cold after oil has flowed through system to establish cold level then check hot to establish hot level. If you dont have oil temp dipstick then get one and keep mental note of operating temps and oil levels.

One more item. If oil was that full in your tank then I would suspect it would throw up in the breather and be injested into engine. I wonder if your breathers are working properly? Possibly someone here can post a test for this. I think you can install a clean tube on each of them and suck to see if valve opens. I did this on mine but do not know if this is a true test or not.

Correct, I've added no oil. I run a minimum of 3, usually more like 10 miles or more at a time.

I'm concerned about starving the engine for oil: If it read fine at cold before, and is up at the top now, would (as you propose) removing enough oil to bring it down to the normal hot level possibly leave too little oil?
I guess what I concerned about is that because there is "suddenly" more oil in the tank, is not enough oil getting getting to the engine? (Whether or not I remove any even?)

On MY sportster IT would Never Warm the OIL Enough in this FEW of Miles....
AS Posted REMOVE excess oil OR change with proper amount and start over..... Did you see the question on How thin is the oil ??? Does it have Gas in it...

The sportsters run "Cool" and My bike takes about 50 miles or better for the oil to get Hot enough to call HOT... Unless 100* out.

I think you Entire Problem Lay right There.... The bike NEVER gets warm enough to check oil HOT and when it "Did" this last "Longer Run", IT Was simply and always Has Been Over Full!!

signed....BUBBIE

I have a 2002 883C that I've had since Spring 2005. Only about 5500 miles on it.
I checked the oil level before firing it up this spring and it was the same way I left off last fall, with the oil on the cold mark at the bottom of the dip stick.
After about 5-8 times out since then, I checked the level again, and suddenly it is at the "top" of the tank almost coming out the top hole. It was never anywhere close to this high all last season! I started it up and let it warm up. Checked again, and it was coming out the hole when I pulled the plug.
A few days later, I repeated the same cold and warm checks with the same result.
Any idea what is going on???

The big question is, does the oil smell like gas is mixed in there? Oil should not overflow once you warmed bike up AND did not put any oil in when you stored it.

If oil filter is lower than the tank then how can oil drain up hill?

Would do proper oil and filter change and add the required amount cycle the oil through then check it. Then ride it unitl hot and ck again. Keep monitoring it for level and unusual sounds.

Only way I know of an increase in the tank would be blocked oil line on the input side and the oil pump is pushing system dry. If this occurred then you would hear it. Only other problem could be gasoline getting into the oil system. Bad float and gas leaked into cylinders and then drained past rings over time? Actually this would be the most likely.

Smell the oil and see how thin it is.

Glad you mentioned *how* it could get gas in the oil, as it is hard to imagine how gas would get in the oil.
I'm in the middle of the oil change now. Have to admit it is hard to tell by looks and feel, but yes I'm sure I smell gas. Your explanation also makes sense because when I first checked it this spring and the oil level was okay, the gas that could have leaked down would have still been in the crankcase. And I did *not* shut off the gas valve either. An advisable thing to do over the winter, I take it?
Could the float had just stuck? And be okay now? Asking because it seems to run fine.

Rokitman, check behind your fuel petcock to see if it has a vacuum hose/diaphram that supposed to "pinch" the fuel supply OFF when the engine is not running. Yes, the oil SHOULD NOT smell like gas, so you have dirt in the carb/float needle allowing fuel to flow past the piston rings and leaky fuel petcock diaphram (if equipped).

This can fill the crankcase with gas/oil, even worse, if it fills the combustion chambers with both valves shut liquids are not compressible and severe engine damage can occur. And if doing winter storage, turn fuel petcock to OFF and use StaBil in the fuel and other recommended techniques for winterizing and dewinterizing your ride.

Never messed with a HD carburator but suspect it is not that hard to overhaul. If you are compfortable rebuilding your own car then recommend getting the kit and make it new again, if not then pull carb and ship to a good rebuild shop. I used National Carburators in Jacksonville FL for the Rochester Qjets on by boat, they did good job on one and the second one had a little trouble and had to send back to have it done again, Warranty process was quick and painless.

Back