free website stats program Oil study | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil study

Actually I put little to no credibility in anything that Amsoil publishes being they pay for the tests, does anyone think they would publish the results if they didn't come out on top or close to it? Ever wonder WHY they spend so much time and money advertising the product if it was so good?
Makes a person wonder.
<snip>

Having worked for a company (unrelated to oil) with a technically better product for a decade but the opposition spent 10 times on advertising I feel qualified to answer that question: It is because people in general buy brands/products they have heard of.

I hear what you're saying. It's just a shame that there are so many leemings out there. IMO forums like this that don't have *sponsors* leaving their mark on every post, like a dog walking the streets, are helping to change this.

I hear what you're saying. It's just a shame that there are so many leemings out there. IMO forums like this that don't have *sponsors* leaving their mark on every post, like a dog walking the streets, are helping to change this.

In a way it's good like you say not to have the sponsors jumping in on every appropriate post with their products. Nobody has anything to benefit from pushing their product here. I agree.:s

Glider, I think you missed my point. When I read this study it makes me believe Mobil One V Twin is a better choice. I believe if you factor "we did the analysis on our product and others" into the mix then I suspect Mobil one and others are as good or better, appears many choices are close.

I only use Amsoil because I get a huge discount and last few cases were Free and no I am not a dealer. Friend has a commercial account at the local supplier. He gets oil cheeper than dealers do. I also believe it is a very good product in spite of the hype.

I am in a posting war with makers of Startron/Soltron on the Boat US site. THey make an fuel additive that has many claims which I believe to be complete bull. There is no way a couple ounces of magic juice will improve fuel economy on an already clean engine or new engine.

On that web site they allow select vendors to partake in general forums, some of these guys disguise themselfs with various screen names. One thing is consistant is they are usualy a new member and onty posts they have are about the product they are supporting/pushing. Fact is that other members an I called BoatUS on the carpet about this practice, no real response from them.

Last edited:
Although Amsoil did the study I did find it interesting that Most other oils did better than them in many catagories, even Syn3. Thing I dont know is which of these catagories are important.

Another observation is that it seems the oils in general are trying to do everyting, engine trans and primary all in one product. Why not blend them just for the engine and have a more superior product. Have separate product for primary and of course gear oil for transmissions.

67HAT . . . Your singing to the choir. I thought I would learn something about oil when I first read the thread. Glider usually puts forth great info. On another thread I read they were talking about Spectra in different weights for the eng and gear box. Does anyone remember, and or tried it? I'm running my first new eng on my 2008 SG and do not want to experiment. Trying to get away from the nasty oil drips on my 50's and 60's hd's.

I had one guy tell me he ran straight Mobil 30W in both for years and never had a problem. I recently had the 1000 mi done and added the company synthetic which is suppossed to last 50,000 between oil changes. I don't believe this, but then read same in American Iron. Any thoughts?

If you read in American iron about 50K oil changes that's a bigger rag than I thought it was. BAD info!

Specific oils for each application. Engine oil for engines and gear oil for gears all of the proper weight for the application. There IS a difference even thou the ratings for the grades are different , the actual weights are very similar but the properties are where the difference is between gear oil and an engine oil.

I use Mobil 1 20/50 V Twin in the engine and Spectro platinum 6 speed oil in the trans. Hard to beat it and Formula+ in the primary.

Glider, thanks for the quick response. Where do you pick up the Spectro platinum? On the Mobil are you using the synthetic stuff? What are you referring to when you say gear box lube? Are you talking about the heavy Stuff we used to use in the rear ends of our cagers?

NO Language allowed on the forum!

[notes]
A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community
[/notes]
Stuff

Last edited:
Back