free website stats program Oil Seeping from Intake (air filter) | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Seeping from Intake (air filter)

I don't see it as running the oil level low because it's a dry sump system.
I always found a bunch of oil in my stock air cleaner from day 1. This being my first dry sump engine, I would always fill my oil to the full mark. Now I fill to 1/4" below full mark (when hot) and I no longer find oil in the air cleaner.

I'm thinking (just my own theory) that since this is a dry sump system, a high fill level in the oil tank.will create a higher pressure for the scavenger side of the oil pump to work against. This in-turn has to create a slightly higher level of oil within the sump/crankcase during engine operation. That in turn makes the oil mist (droplets) within the crankcase more rich in oil content which easily finds its way inside the air cleaner.

Yes, no, maybe? I have no clue but a slightly lower tank level works for me also.
:s That is a very sound theory and I think you are spot on, and @ higher speeds the problem with TOO much oil in the system would be worse

I read that the new breather assembly #17025-03A which was used in 2011 and up was a new design to combat the oil coming out the air cleaner. Well I installed them on my 09 road king. Went on an 80 mile ride. Still oil leaking on my engine. Guess it didnt work.

Just joined this sight and you guys have answered questions that have been on my mind since bought my 06' electra glide year and half ago......this sight is new bike owners dream!!

Back