free website stats program Oil residue | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil residue

RN Richie

Hava 98 Low Rider with 20k mi on it lovin the bike, (just purchased from original owner, have just put 1000 mi in last 6 weeks on it) just noticing an oil residue around front cylinder fins at about the exhaust manifold level, there has been a "mist of oil" coating the front of horn cover, a little concerned, would like to remedy this any ideas as to what may be up?
Thanks, Richie

The lower rocker cover gasket is the one I would suspect it is a 2 piece paper gasket that does fail there is an upgraded 1 piece metal gasket that seems to work better
However it is best to clean the area with a degreaser then go for a short ride and check for the leak to identify exactly where it is coming from

Brian

Brian has you covered here. Oil can and will blow in different directions and may be coming from the air cleaner. You didn't mention what mods have been done to the bike and motor. Have you checked the oil level to make sure it's not over filled?

Thanks Gents, I'm suspecting rocker cover or the "plate just below" it, top left corner of front jug, is a little juicy" oil level is fine a tad low, no mods have been done to bike, my first Harley after going through a number of Japanese bikes, Lovin it and wanna be sure I don't miss something or cause any damage due to my unfamiliarity, I'll clean it up and give it a ride see if I can pin point it,

HD98FXD003.gif

Here is an exploded view of the rocker boxes and gaskets

Back