free website stats program Oil residue (creamy) in oil spout opening | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil residue (creamy) in oil spout opening

tvelotta

Checking oil levels today and noticed a creamy residue in the opening of the oil filler spout.
What is it?
It it detrimental?

Thanking you in advance

tvelotta

More and likely it is just normal condensation from lack of running or starting and just let idle then shut off. Once bike is brought up to normal operating temp and ridden it will probably evaporate.....Normal by product..

thanks for quick response. I have been riding for many years and have never seen this before. Of course this year I rode to work which is about 4 miles from the house.

Thanks again

thanks for quick response. I have been riding for many years and have never seen this before. Of course this year I rode to work which is about 4 miles from the house.

Thanks again

Good reason to take the long way to work :D

Checking oil levels today and noticed a creamy residue in the opening of the oil filler spout.
What is it?
It it detrimental?

Thanking you in advance

tvelotta

It is called an oil/water emulsion. If all the oil in your reservoir was like that, it would be VERY detrimental to the lubrication of your engine. But a little in the mouth of the filler spout is just a result of the normal heating and cooling of the metal and the condensing water that is forming on the metal. If you run the engine long enough for the oil temperature to get to operating temp it will drive off all the water including the residue in the filler spout.

As pointed out above, if you regularly run the bike short distances that do not give the engine ample time to run at operating temp., you should shorten the oil change and filter change interval.

TQ

Back