free website stats program Oil pressure | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil pressure

little_earl

With my new ultra I noticed that when I first start her up the oil pressure is around 36 and when hot it drops to 30 or 32 psi. My heritage did not have a pressure guage so I'm not sure if this is normal. The bike has 220 miles on it. Is this ok

little earl; you're right on the $$$ - oil pressure should be 30-88 psi @ 2K rpm & normal operating temps. Gonna start a little higher until it gets warm...

Definitely nice having all those gages to look at & one of my winter projects is to swap the air temp w/oil temp, or bite the bullet & change all for Dakota Digital. Depends on how much ca$h my better-1/2 will allow...;-)

good idea iceman swapping the air temp guage with an oil temp guage. The air temp is kind of usless. A few years ago I thought about installing a compass in place of the air temp but heard that it wouldn't be very acurate with all the iron on the bike.

My Dakota Digitals show my oil pressure to be 45 psi cold and 34psi @ 190degree oil temp @ a idle the oil pressure is @ 14 PSI @ 190 degrees . The hotter the oil is the lower the oil pressure is but your stock HD gauge should not drop past 6-7 PSI @ a idle but should show 30-34 while you are riding . Right now you have nothing to worry about .

I agree with 2 things..... after your bike gets warmed up the oil press can go as low as 6 p.s.i. and I installed an oil press. gage in place of the worthless air temp. because I like to keep and eye on how hot my bike is running.

...same here.....I replaced the air temp guage with an Oil Temp Guage on my Ultra....hard riding on "HOT" days (high 90's) it ranges around 230 degrees....I read somewhere that the oil breaks down if it gets above 250....any truth to this?
Tom

Back