free website stats program Oil,Oil,Oil | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil,Oil,Oil

The bikes always get fluid changes early if anything (my cages on the other hand......). I think the difference being the bikes are a labor of love and the trucks and cars are just a labor. Thanks for all of the information/advise.

we have used Redline and Amsoil in ourTop Fuel Race Motors and our own street bikes with less problems and wear after each round! We pull the upper end off to rebuild it after 2-3 passes in the 1/4 mile! We used to do it every round !

Harleys OIL is Junk petro or Syn....

Dont like Mobil None either I mean 1 That stuff is way over rated!

That's what I thought, but it's nice to hear from someone else.
Thanks.
By the way, does $8.49 a qt. for Mobil 1 V Twin sound about right?

If i could pay that here (BC Canada), I'd buy it by the case and resell at a huge profit. We pay $15 a qt on average. Oh wait the stores already do that! To me $8.49 is a Great price!

we have used Redline and Amsoil in ourTop Fuel Race Motors and our own street bikes with less problems and wear after each round! We pull the upper end off to rebuild it after 2-3 passes in the 1/4 mile! We used to do it every round !

Harleys OIL is Junk petro or Syn....

Dont like Mobil None either I mean 1 That stuff is way over rated!

I appreciate and respect hearing from a racer with an allegiance to a brand. Are you sponsored?

And if we're talking "over-rated" have you seen the hundreds of AMSOIL hype (read: propoganda) websites on the internet.
Amsoil is the master of over-rated. Never mind their pyramid scheme styled company model.

This has not been a paid commercial announcement.

Well I've used Amsoil in both Jap motorcycles 10-30 and Harley's motorcycles 20-50. No clutch slippage No leak's those are wives tales.
I also use Amsoil in my 2006 Dodge (Cummins) 3500 Pickup 5-40 Diesel oil, My wifes Chrysler, my Chevy S-10 and everything else that takes oil.
I read these posts and I have to laugh. I've been using Ansoil for years and NEVER had a problem. I buy my oil on line as a Perfered Customer and I pay about 6.50 a Qt for 20-50. On my 09flhtcu I use 20-50 in the engine with no excessive noise and I use it in my primary and my clutch has never slipped not in 9000 miles

I have had really good results using all Redline products over the years....
Redline Shockproof oil in the tranny is where I'll stay!!!

Putting over 60,000 miles on the 6 speed gear conversion in that bike.. The 6 speed gears being said Not To Be The Best 6 speed gear set (custom chrome).... BUT By Using Redline Shockproof Heavy,,, ""Never Ever"" a piece of metal or fuzz on the drain-plug magnet... Never! on any of my trannys

I use the 20/50 Redline in My Many engine builds (never raced in pros) but driven Hard out on the public highways...

My 2000 FXDS, went thru 3 different builds for street use on that motor and never showed enough wear on the 95" jugs to re-bore when trying out a different piston style, Just a cross hatch pattern freshening was all that was needed... Over 100 HP and over 100# torque.

Putting 117,000 miles on that bike, USING the original "Stock Clutch" and MTL Redline in the clutch-case (approved Full Synthetic wet clutch application)...

It's Redline (MTL) the Same product Now in a V-twin bottle and a few $$ more cause it states for V twin primary use and wet clutch application.... so I stay with the Yellow bottle MTL... The best IMHO

That is WHY it is hard for me to TRY any other Good stuff..

My results are a "fact" caused by using a good Lubrication product!

signed....BUBBIE:newsmile075:

I'm a dinosaur when it comes to oil. Change between 3 and 5k. No issues, tensioners showed little or no wear at 23k. I've thought about changing to a different oil, but have heard too many stories about smells, leaks, and bearing skate. I figure leave well enough alone.

Last edited:
I think a small reminder would be sufficient for this discussion (again).
Donny Peterson on oils - Harley Davidson Community

I can't believe that anyone would think you can have too much lubrication on an object that needs to reduce friction. Plus you have the added plus that full syn oil stays on the parts longer which keeps the wear down especially if the bike is not started that often such as rainy weather or long vacations from the bike.

Personally I think any oil you use is sufficient but I will never go back from Full Syn. Brands are again like gasoline of years past. Some people never used anything but Shell or Sunoco but when the prices started to go crazy, brand loyalty took a hit because peole were suddenly buying what was cheaper. I prefer Redline in all of my cases but have used mobil 1 & royal purple (just car oil) before. I do think that there is little difference between MC and car oil to justify the different prices so in some instances I use car oil in the crank. I do use redline heavyduty shockproof in the tranny and redline primary in the primary. Are they better than Amsoil or mobil1? I like to think so but reality is that they are so close that we would never know the difference.

I do use redline heavyduty shockproof in the tranny and redline primary in the primary. Are they better than Amsoil or mobil1? I like to think so but reality is that they are so close that we would never know the difference
The thing I see with Most Riders Is the TIME Element.... I took Me over 25 years of Using "ONE" product that did really well and Lets See, If we can find another person who Tried the OTHER Good products for 25 yrs. ,, Let us here from them here Also!!!!

I find it Hard to "test" from "one brand to another brand" in a few changes "Here and There"... It like changing Socks and washing them in a different detergent then another, another, another,,,, Because over TIME you don't know which "One" Product did What ?..

The opinions are just that, including Mine... Opinions...

My many builds and different bikes. NOT a new bike with few miles on them, then Bragging My Oil Is The Best...... Heck, Like Said in Others Post, and from me,,,,, ANY Modern OIL would OIL for a few thousand miles and Only If you Tear it apart to Measure the internals, Before and After,,,You will just Have to Wait It Out to See...... 25 years ????????

'Nough Said!!
REDLINE

signed....BUBBIE

Back