free website stats program Oil Level | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Level

N Lee

Question for the Gurus. With a twin cam 88 Road King sitting on the jiffy stand what should the oil level read on the dip stick... COLD. The dip stick gives a level for when the bike is hot. Thanx in advance

I have an 05 Electra glide, my oil level cold is in the middle of the dip stick, on the jiffy stand. I put in 3.5 qt when changing oil....it doesn't like 4 qt, it will smoke a little when I start it every so often with 4 qt, no smoke at all with 3.5. Sounds like you have about 1/2 qt too much oil. Every bike is different.... IMHO

thanks for the info I just couldn't see cranking the bike letting it get hot to check the oil

Don't know about the 88, but the 96 oil will merge into the primary after it sits for awhile days+ on the stand. Its prudent to warm the bike and then check to make sure you are full. there is a risk if you check it cold and then add if it reads low you will end up with way too much oil. Go buy a cheap turkey baster and attach some tubing to suck out the extra oil.

Don't know about the 88, but the 96 oil will merge into the primary after it sits for awhile days+ on the stand. Its prudent to warm the bike and then check to make sure you are full. there is a risk if you check it cold and then add if it reads low you will end up with way too much oil. Go buy a cheap turkey baster and attach some tubing to suck out the extra oil.

Gator, 88" and 96" oiling systems are the same but I think you have confused "A" and "B" motors. Both are "dry" sump systems but "B" motor oil tanks sit above the crank case and left sitting, gravity will pull oil from the tank into the sump, not the primary. Too many have make the mistake of checking oil on a softail, getting a low reading, adding oil only to have it blow out during a ride.

The "A" motor, AKA touring motor oil tanks are below or on the same level of the crank case so there is no way for oil to drain from the oil pan to the sump or the primary.

Bottom line, oil should always be checked hot and on the jiffy stand unles the service manual says differntly.:)

Gator, 88" and 96" oiling systems are the same but I think you have confused "A" and "B" motors. Both are "dry" sump systems but "B" motor oil tanks sit above the crank case and left sitting, gravity will pull oil from the tank into the sump, not the primary. Too many have make the mistake of checking oil on a softail, getting a low reading, adding oil only to have it blow out during a ride.

The "A" motor, AKA touring motor oil tanks are below or on the same level of the crank case so there is no way for oil to drain from the oil pan to the sump or the primary.

Bottom line, oil should always be checked hot and on the jiffy stand unles the service manual says differntly.:)
Dolt; I know Softails drain to the sump - certainly mine does.
However, I’ve read where people suggest that (drainage) can indicate a failure or fault in, or of the oil pump.
I find it an interesting concept that gravity draining an oil tank can be taken as a potential issue. I think back on dry sump bikes I have known (Japanese and British) and cannot recall the same utterances of dire issues ahead.
I’d like-if I may- your thoughts on this.
I think I’ve heard enough on this from the other side.

Last edited:

Thank you sir for the clarity on this, I have seen it on my softy, but wasn't sure were the oil ended up.

biscuit said:
Dolt] I know Softails drain to the sump - certainly mine does. However, I’ve read where people suggest that (drainage) can indicate a failure or fault in, or of the oil pump. I find it an interesting concept that gravity draining an oil tank can be taken as a potential issue. I think back on dry sump bikes I have known (Japanese and British) and cannot recall the same utterances of dire issues ahead. I’d like-if I may- your thoughts on this. I think I’ve heard enough on this from the other side.

OK. Softail, or "B" motors left sitting will drain oil from the tank to the sump but that oil has to pass through the oil pump. Since the oil pump is not operating, the drained oil is under the "head" pressure from the oil tank above and will fill the oil pump cavity, flow past the feed and scavenge gerotors and drain into the sump from the scavenge side of the pump. There is a "wavy" washer between the feed and scavenge gerotors that is supposed to slow or prevent oil from the tank passing through; however, depending on factory tolerances, the wavy washer may not have enough tension on the gerotors to prevent oil from passing through which is why some softails drain oil from the tank faster than others.

Having said all that, it should be clear that people suggesting that drainage from a softail oil tank to the sump indicates a failure or fault of the oil pump don't understand softail oil flow.;)

A lot of softail owners that have to store their bikes for the winter use hose clamp pliers clamped to the short rubber hose just under the oil tank to prevent oil draining from the tank to the sump.

Aftermarket pumps like Fuelling, S&S etc. are supposed to have tighter tolerances to slow or prevent the drainage.. I have the S&S T3 setup on my 98" motor but id drains down, slower, but still drains into the sump.

Hope that helps.:cool:

gator508 said:
Thank you sir for the clarity on this, I have seen it on my softy, but wasn't sure were the oil ended up.

No worries; many softail owners don't understand softail oil flow. You are a respected forum member and there is no reason for others to doubt whatever you post. I just wanted to clarify your post so there would not be any misunderstanding by others that might read that post.

Back