free website stats program Oil level | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil level

Not likely for you, but do watch for progressive loss of power. Sumping could be an issue (again, not likely for you, but possible).

Good luck,
Rich P

I would need to know the facts...

How many miles per ride and how much oil was used.

Same check every time, same position like on the side stand.

No drips ever on the floor. Wipe the bottom of the bike and Look for any little bit of oil...

YES, even take the derby cover off and see the level of the primary.
IF High OR over flowing While On the Side Stand... You found a leaky engine seal on the crank.

I doubt from reading this Thread "that" being the issue BUT eliminate it by checking.

If you are using oil (a lot) it will show as Black carbon on the plugs..
(Jack asked about the color of the muffler ends?) Carbon there will usually be flaky soft in short term...

Remove both plugs.
Careful NOT mixing them up from front to back..
(I NEVER remove them on a Hot engine OR threads can be ruined)

Look to see IF one is Black or both? ... Report please.

The plug condition would tell ME if YOURS is MY suspected problem..... Valve Seals MIGHT be bad... Loose and allowing oil to go by.

YES a new bike can have bad or loose seals.

Example:
I have had Seals just Sitting on top of the valve guide ends...Nor properly put on IF at all...

My bike went thru enough oil in MY opinion, after Break-In and HD said Not enough oil use to tear into the motor....

SO I did it myself. As soon as I took of the easy (front) valve cover, I found What They Should Have taken time to find..
LOOSE,,,I fixed it my self..........

I'll NEVER get any Warranty extension as I have had problems with HD. EVEN while under the NORMAL two year warranty...:55:

BURNT TWICE by them.

Now I'm NOT suggesting anybody Else do that.

I DO all my work, apart/together.I DO just fine at that.
Not the boring and machining. I rely on the Pro's for that....

Lecture over
Your problem COULD be the valve seals...

signed....BUBBIE

OKAY-okay

I went back and Read ALL.. I thought it was using a lot more oil over many times... Shows ME I should READ ALL ... kept seeing 1/2 quart,,,,1/2 quart,,,1/2 quart.......

You have to give it More time and IF it is Using MORE oil RE-Read my above post.

OH Com' n people... My post MAY help someone...............:bigsmiley25:

Please, Don't give me GRIEF:newsmile099:

signed....BUBBIE

I would need to know the facts...

How many miles per ride and how much oil was used.

Same check every time, same position like on the side stand.

No drips ever on the floor. Wipe the bottom of the bike and Look for any little bit of oil...

YES, even take the derby cover off and see the level of the primary.
IF High OR over flowing While On the Side Stand... You found a leaky engine seal on the crank.

I doubt from reading this Thread "that" being the issue BUT eliminate it by checking.

If you are using oil (a lot) it will show as Black carbon on the plugs..
(Jack asked about the color of the muffler ends?) Carbon there will usually be flaky soft in short term...

Remove both plugs.
Careful NOT mixing them up from front to back..
(I NEVER remove them on a Hot engine OR threads can be ruined)

Look to see IF one is Black or both? ... Report please.

The plug condition would tell ME if YOURS is MY suspected problem..... Valve Seals MIGHT be bad... Loose and allowing oil to go by.

YES a new bike can have bad or loose seals.

Example:
I have had Seals just Sitting on top of the valve guide ends...Nor properly put on IF at all...

My bike went thru enough oil in MY opinion, after Break-In and HD said Not enough oil use to tear into the motor....

SO I did it myself. As soon as I took of the easy (front) valve cover, I found What They Should Have taken time to find..
LOOSE,,,I fixed it my self..........

I'll NEVER get any Warranty extension as I have had problems with HD. EVEN while under the NORMAL two year warranty...:55:

BURNT TWICE by them.

Now I'm NOT suggesting anybody Else do that.

I DO all my work, apart/together.I DO just fine at that.
Not the boring and machining. I rely on the Pro's for that....

Lecture over
Your problem COULD be the valve seals...

signed....BUBBIE

No drips, drops, or leaks of any kind. Pulled the plugs a few days ago. Dry as a bone and white in color. End of mufflers looks normal. I check oil level on the stand every time. Will check primary level later this week.
Thanks.

If its only 1/2 quart low leave it alone. I have seen many vehicles, bikes, cars, trucks, etc that will go through some right off the bat. But after finding their "level" will not lose any more.

I have the same issue with the oil level being the same hot or cold. Don't know why and no one can explain it to me. Keep us posted if you find out an answer because I would really like to know how to fix it.

went through this when the 10 was new after 1000 service, topped it to line and went down to 1/2 mark, topped it, repeat down to 1/2 mark. Left it at the 1/2 mark and it stayed there until next oil change. not sumping checked crank drain, not burning or it would have continued, so it must of been going into the intake. give it time and leave it at 1/2 mark for now at least

went through this when the 10 was new after 1000 service, topped it to line and went down to 1/2 mark, topped it, repeat down to 1/2 mark. Left it at the 1/2 mark and it stayed there until next oil change. not sumping checked crank drain, not burning or it would have continued, so it must of been going into the intake. give it time and leave it at 1/2 mark for now at least

Good advice here to TRY....

I am a Firm believer that HD engines and Also Especially the tranny Can and DO seek their own levels... Never a good Practice to over Fill.....

The air vented from the engine into the air box area, spits vapors and over fill oil into the Re-burn chamber.

That bent hose Vent tube on the tranny does about the same thing BUT venting out into the atmosphere...IF over filled in the tranny, IT Will spit out the over fill thru that Vent hose...
(this has happened on my bikes right after a change)

Using Redline ShockProof IT does let you know it IS venting out...:smell :small3d011:

signed....BUBBIE

I own a 2011 Harley Fat Bob (FXDF). I recently took a road trip and put around 1,500 miles on the bike. It currently sits at 9,300 miles on the odometer. Prior to, and during the trip, the cold oil mark was always where it needed to be per the manual. After the trip I'm now finding that the oil mark is the same at both hot and cold. The bike doesn't seem to be using oil. The oil doesn't smell like gas. The primary and transmission oils are good. I see that here and on other boards, other Harley owners are experiencing the same phenomena. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Back