free website stats program oil leaking from air cleaner | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

oil leaking from air cleaner

I am about three hash marks (squares) low on the dipstick and she still spits, I am also running an HD oil cooler. As mentioned before, longer distance at steady highway speed seems to make it happen more often. Still waiting for a longer ride to check the misting then.
kt

Update.
After a couple hundred miles starting to get some drips on the cam cover, guess I will get back on drill and tap project to run hoses to the ground
kt

Update.
After a couple hundred miles starting to get some drips on the cam cover, guess I will get back on drill and tap project to run hoses to the ground
kt

You know, There has to be something Simple to cause this... I see so many of the newer bikes that DON't have this problem.... Just can't imagine the fix...

IF you have lowered the oil by at least a 1/4 quart LESS than it calls out for and the stick shows it to be a 1/4" lower than cold full when clod and the same on the Hot mark when Hot.. I would think it is in the oil galley drains in the valve tops.... some place it is not right..
I know this ISN't a fix it is just My feelings....

signed....BUBBIE

Makes me wonder too, everytime I wipe the stuff off!! A little background on my bike is that I started off new, with th 96 motor, tuner and SE air cleaner. Then went to a 106 because (long story short) the dealer shop didn't get the message I wanted a 103 to begin with. Anyway after about 3K miles I was blowing smoke out the left side muffler. Turned out it had something to do with the rings, dealer never said exactly what. Stayed with the 106 and basically new top end. about 7K later decided to dyno tune ping out of it and eventually decided to drop auto compression release and SE compensator in as well (different dealer in town) and they called to say there was ring problems. Turned out S&S said the ring lands were not designed well and they replaced the top end again, but at least this time I knew what had gone wrong. Went with 103 this time for future bore options. I wish I could remember when the blow by started, I think it was probably sometime during the first 106.
As far as the valley drains,I drilled them out bigger as the Doherty Mystfree kit suggests. Still no help, the O rings slowed the blow significantly but not completely.
Now you know most of the story
kt

I have always had Less oil in the air box when Keeping my oil level Not Quite Full ,,, at least a 1/4 qt low for me is a Must..

Good info. When I first got my bike I treated it like a wet-sump cage engine and filled it to the FULL mark which was a Big mistake. It's dry sump so the oil level on the stick is almost meaningless.

Still no help, the O rings slowed the blow significantly but not completely.

I wonder if the engine is sumping oil. The oil pump came out when the cams were changed so maybe the Scavenger pump is not aligned and is not keeping up with the supply pump. (possibility?)

Last edited by a moderator:
I wondered that too and specifically asked the shop to make sure about the alignment and they said it was pretty close on tear down and was supposedly right on when they put it back together. Would have loved to have been in on that whole thing but I lack both tools and experience, so I just have to trust the shop. I do know the first dealer put in the wrong head gasket on one of the jugs.........the second shop showed them to me it looked like one was probably stock and the other one was the 106, maybe 60 thou difference. I'll probalby stick with number 2 for warranty stuff and what I can't do myself I will hope to find good indy
kt

I noticed on Saturday that there was oil dripping from my air cleaner housing after an hour-1/2 trip each way in 93 degree temps. The bike ran fine, but I was rather shocked to see the oil like that. I'd never had any leaks prior to this. The oil level was not overfull either. I am about ready to change oil. I will go ahead and change the air filter also.

Well I was getting ready to drill and tap the back plate stand off for some hose to let the blow by go to the ground and bouught a new back plate to tap. I had it on to mark it and left it on for a few days since I had new "O" rings for it anyway, and so far no drips....wonder if the machine work on the back plates might be enough of a variable to keep the system from leaking. Haven't been out for more than an hour, but so far so good.

I noticed on Saturday that there was oil dripping from my air cleaner housing after an hour-1/2 trip each way in 93 degree temps. The bike ran fine, but I was rather shocked to see the oil like that. I'd never had any leaks prior to this. The oil level was not overfull either. I am about ready to change oil. I will go ahead and change the air filter also.

Carlin,

I would not call it a leak, just an accumulation of oil in the air box/filter
how many miles on Your bike IS it the one in your avatar? 03 flh,, Is it the stock filter? also what oil for the engine are you using?

What Modifications on your bike if any?

I like the air filters you can WASH in the laundry tray with soap and water.. MY SE HD air filter system, the air filter is saturated with oil mostly on the bottom of filter and it does start to Drip,,,after a 4000/5000 mile run on my 09 flhr, i need to wash it out. and I use redline 20/50 premium oil..

This is Normal in my book....

signed....BUBBIE

Back