free website stats program Oil leak on 2009 Streetglide | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil leak on 2009 Streetglide

SprChkn

Hello all - I love riding my new streetglide, but I am quickly growing tired of oil leaking problems. At 500 miles, the countershaft needle bearing had to be replaced, requiring the trans to be taken apart, because it was spewing oil down between the trans and primary drive case. Now, at 1900 miles, the bike has developed a slight leak directly behind the rear cylinder, where the two halves of the crankcase and the tranmission join, making a "T" interface. Everytime I ride, there is oil there, not dripping, but enough you can wipe it off with a q-tip and see it. I clean it off, and after riding again - its back. The dealer said a slight seepage from this location is normal. I am taking it in so the service manager can decide if my leak is in the "normal" range, or something that needs to be fixed. I am not comfortable with the idea this is "normal", but I am also uncomfortable with my new bike being torn down to the point of splitting the cases, which I believe would have to happen to fix the leak.

Is this a normal place to have oil seepage? Anyone else have this? Any advice?

After 17 years of owning and working on every brand of Japanese bikes and Ducatis, most of which I got as reposessed or abused bikes, none of which leaked oil; I am about at my wits end with the harley experience. I don't feel like I can trust the bike - after every ride I crawl around underneath the lift trying to see where it's sprung a leak. From my perspective this is not $20,000 worth of engineering and quality. I would like to just get my money back and walk away, but we all know that's not happening. Any advice would be appreciated.

Oil leakage or seepage is NOT normal. If they try to tell you that ask for an area rep from HD to look at the bike.

I can't see where any leak is normal. I too have owned Jap bike's most my life with no oil leaks and this is my first HD. I have to say I'm totally happy with my ride so far. (09 RoadKing Classic). I've put on over 7000 Km so far this season and not so much of a hint of a leak. I would not think that any visible oil outside the casings to be normal. Take it to a different dealer for a fresh opinion. Take advantage of your warranty and get her repaired.

My new 09 has not leaked so far. I had a 2004 Dyna that had a pourous transmission case and had to be replaced right after I bought the bike. That was a big hassle.

I seem to also get the statment "That is normal" I don't trust them thus why I ask the questions here - Leaking fluids is NOT normal - they need to fix this and make every effort to restore your confidence in your Harley -

SprChkn.... Don't give up yet. You might try this.... when you take it back in, take a pocket full of q-tips and ask the service manager to follow you to the the showroom. Pull out your q-tips and start checking the bikes on the floor. Then go to the used bikes and check them. Then he will see what is "normal". Also, I have to say that I too am on my first Harley, coming off all makes of metric bikes, and every single one of them developed seepage around the valve cover gasket at some point so don't give up on Harley, but a new dealer may be in order.

Id be checking your states lemon laws.Here in Mass they have 3 shots to fix a problem then they eat the vehicle as defective.

if your looking for more input on whats normal, I have a 98 evo with 55k miles, no leaks. knock knock ;)

Back