free website stats program Oil in gas? | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil in gas?

W.Bacon

A couple of years ago I read a tip on the web and I'm curious what people here think.
It was suggested to add 1-1 1/2 ounces of 2 cycle oil to a full tank of gas when you know that the bike will sit for a couple weeks or more. This isn't suggested as a fuel stabilizer. The theory is that when the bike sits long enough for fuel to evaporate or when draining carbs for long term storage, this tiny bit of oil will remain behind to keep the tip of your float needle from drying out, cracking or sticking. Also any o-rings and rubber bits that may be inside different carburetors.
There is currently a thread where the poor guy seems to have had his float stick, possibly causing his motor to fill with fuel. I wonder if this tip may help protect us from having this happen.
All thoughts appreciated, even if this turns out to be the dumbest suggestion ever, I just need to know.

i dunno about that but could be. i know that dont work on weed eaters . they sit for long time its a rebuild carb thing. i do know that oil in gas will stop rusting fuel tanks for a while.

IMO the modern fuel with all the Alcohol dries out the rubber parts in the carb that much faster. I would opt to use some Marvel Mystery oil, shut off the petcock and run the bike til it is out of fuel to let it sit but that is just my opinion

I would tend not to add 2 stroke oil to the fuel as I would be worried that the oil going through the system and being burned off may cause plug fouling / carbon build up as I would find it easier to rebuild the carb than decoke the piston and cylinder head and regrind the valves
There is always the option to drain the float bowl with the provided drain screw
I just keep a carb rebuild kit in stock just in case I need it soon I did have to do some cleaning of dyna carb after first start up due to a stuck accelerator pump rod

Brian

I'm with Jack, some MMO in the gas run it through good. Shut the petcock off and run it out fuel. Drain the tank if going to be sitting long or go for a full tank with non-ethanol fuel.

Back