free website stats program Oil in Air Filter | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil in Air Filter

jascissom

Hey everbody,
I bought my 2012 Night Rod in May of 2012 and I love it. I've not had many major problems with it until now (other than the rear reflector constantly falling off).

I was riding home and back this weekend, which is about a 75 mile round trip, and noticed that there was oil dripping from under the seat onto the pipes, right where they connect to the engine. I got to looking around and it seemed to be coming from the small tube just above the engine that comes from the air intake. So, I took the cover off and opened the air intake where the air filter is, and there is a small amount of oil in the intake near the air filter.

I haven't made any modifications to the bike since buying it 2 years ago, but I did by it with Vance and Hines pipes, and they installed a fuel pack for it then as well.

I missed my warranty time by 3 weeks, so the dealership just wants me to bring it in and have it serviced, but I'm tight on money at the moment. Any ideas what this could be? I know I'll have to take it in eventually, but I'm trying to find another way.

Also, the bike only has 4400 miles on it. I haven't taken it in for the 5000 mile checkup yet.

Thanks for any help!
Jeff

Last time it was serviced how much oil was put in. Most of us run 1/2 quart shy of what the book calls for just this reason.

I'm not really sure. They serviced it at about 450 miles, but that was over a year ago. I would figure it would have leaked before now if that was the case, but maybe not? If it's just too much oil, maybe it'll leak itself out to a better level and be ok. It's not causing any problems and I have no warning lights. Just a little concerning.

Night Rod......My bad....saw NIGHT and instantly put Train to it. May better wait till someone with experience with the Rod chimes in.

I have had that problem on 3 different models then I noticed it only dripped oil when I was running a k and n filter now I stick with screaming eagle filter have had no problems since....could have been a fluke I don not know

If there a breather tube to the air cleaner and is it properly attached?

Sounds like its wet sumping. I don't know much about the night rod but harley engines I know are dry sump, meaning that they store most of the oil in the oil tank and not the crankcase. If too much oil builds up in the crankcase it will get pushed out the breather. For environmental reasons the newer bikes vent the breather into the air filter instead of on the ground so that's where it will show up.

It could wet sump for a variety of reasons but it indicates something in the oil system may not be working right. You can probably get more detail than I can give by searching the web but it's one place to start.

Oil tank being "UP" above the crankcase......

ALL the HD's with oil tank above the engine, High to the Bottom Crankcase:

MOST WILL allow oil to seep down past the oil pump when they SIT for a long time. You saying Sitting for a long time.......

If run EVEN Daily, the oil can SUMP into the motor.

Start Motor and DON"T BLIP the Throttle.... ALLOW one full minute or more at Idle and all oil should be pumped Back into the oil tank....

RUNNING Before OR BLIPPING Throttle will WHIP the oil at the crank and Foam it.... THERE IS The cause for the foaming oil to the heads and then into the Air Cleaner... Do this often enough and you have Heads FULL of creamy air-e-ated oil...

signed....BUBBIE

Sounds like its wet sumping. I don't know much about the night rod but harley engines I know are dry sump, meaning that they store most of the oil in the oil tank and not the crankcase. If too much oil builds up in the crankcase it will get pushed out the breather. For environmental reasons the newer bikes vent the breather into the air filter instead of on the ground so that's where it will show up.

It could wet sump for a variety of reasons but it indicates something in the oil system may not be working right. You can probably get more detail than I can give by searching the web but it's one place to start.

Oil tank being "UP" above the crankcase......

ALL the HD's with oil tank above the engine, High to the Bottom Crankcase:

MOST WILL allow oil to seep down past the oil pump when they SIT for a long time. You saying Sitting for a long time.......

If run EVEN Daily, the oil can SUMP into the motor.

Start Motor and DON"T BLIP the Throttle.... ALLOW one full minute or more at Idle and all oil should be pumped Back into the oil tank....

RUNNING Before OR BLIPPING Throttle will WHIP the oil at the crank and Foam it.... THERE IS The cause for the foaming oil to the heads and then into the Air Cleaner... Do this often enough and you have Heads FULL of creamy air-e-ated oil...

signed....BUBBIE

I know this is a old post but the V-Rod does not have a dry sump system or a seperate oil tank and does not "Wet Sump"

The most common problem is deterioration of the rear crankcase rubber hose off the rear cam cover to the airbox, or the rifle shell that goes from the front head to the lower airbox cover.

Back