free website stats program Oil help | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil help

I trust my friends, but I understand that my warrentee will be voided if I run anything but Harley oil in it. Is that true? Can the dealer put other brand oil in my scoot? The dealer will be doing all servicing and mods since I know nothing about mechanics.

IF you Read and TALK here on HDT.com You could save SEVERAL hundred dollars on your first service and let HDT help you out.. Members here GIVE Freely and EVEN will offer their Phone number to a few SELECTED trusted new members to go over on a "one on one" basis..

IT"S Just the way WE ARE....

I would like to add a little to my first post by saying:
If you have service contract to change the lubes in your bike and Use IT that way HD does and Can have their oils into your bike.. BUT you still have an OPTION:...

Example:
A friend of mine has the ? year extended contract on his bike, They (HD Shop) change out all the oils at the needed intervals....

HE wants to use Redline Shockproof in his tranny so He takes in the quart at the time for the change and They put it in ,,,,,IN PLACE OF the lube they would have used.

NO $$$ amount is Exchanged either way.. He is Happy to Just have His BETTER product put into his bike.

signed....BUBBIE

IF you Read and TALK here on HDT.com You could save SEVERAL hundred dollars on your first service and let HDT help you out.. Members here GIVE Freely and EVEN will offer their Phone number to a few SELECTED trusted new members to go over on a "one on one" basis..

IT"S Just the way WE ARE....

I would like to add a little to my first post by saying:
If you have service contract to change the lubes in your bike and Use IT that way HD does and Can have their oils into your bike.. BUT you still have an OPTION:...

Example:
A friend of mine has the ? year extended contract on his bike, They (HD Shop) change out all the oils at the needed intervals....

HE wants to use Redline Shockproof in his tranny so He takes in the quart at the time for the change and They put it in ,,,,,IN PLACE OF the lube they would have used.

NO $$$ amount is Exchanged either way.. He is Happy to Just have His BETTER product put into his bike.

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks for your response. Honestly, I just want to hop on my scoot and ride it when I want to and not have to be bothered with maintaining it. That's what the dealer is for and that is what I'll pay him to do, maintain my bike.

Plus we live in a gated community that has numerous restrictions on working on stuff outside. I'd hate to get a spill of oil on my driveway. This will come off as sounding snooty, but with all due respect, people in our community don't work on vehicles ourselves. We have other people do that for us.

Thanks, so is one oil ok in all three holes? or am I going to have to use seperate oils?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, so is one oil ok in all three holes? or am I going to have to use seperate oils?

******* NO*****

IF you were to use "ONLY ONE OIL" ,lube,gear oil. THERE would be Only """ONE""" Hole in the bike to use it in..

Each moving Part in the THREE different HOLES are Different from one another...!

Each ONE (hole) REQUIRES a PROPER Different LUBE.

REGARDLESS Who says Different HD included.

signed....BUBBIE

Post Note: Meant in a Friendly Way.....

under arms = deodorant
Teeth= tooth-paste
feet = powder
body = soap
hair = shampoo
whiskers = razor
bare feet = socks n shoes

toilet/showers/sinks =cleansers = Now YOU get MY drift here......... BUBBIE

Think about it: Do you use motor oil in your engine, transmission and in your axles/differentials of your car?

I'm not mechanically inclined. I'm assuming that by your post the answer is no.

******* NO*****

IF you were to use "ONLY ONE OIL" ,lube,gear oil. THERE would be Only """ONE""" Hole in the bike to use it in..

Each moving Part in the THREE different HOLES are Different from one another...!

Each ONE (hole) REQUIRES a PROPER Different LUBE.

REGARDLESS Who says Different HD included.

signed....BUBBIE

Post Note: Meant in a Friendly Way.....

under arms = deodorant
Teeth= tooth-paste
feet = powder
body = soap
hair = shampoo
whiskers = razor
bare feet = socks n shoes

toilet/showers/sinks =cleansers = Now YOU get MY drift here......... BUBBIE

What about all the guys running Amsoil in all three holes?

Last edited by a moderator:
What about all the guys running Amsoil in all three holes?

Amsoil makes More than ONE oil if I understand that correctly... Don't they make a 90w140 or the like for a transmission or call one Gear oil?

Nothing says that YOU HAVE to use any oils BUT the ones you want...

So IF the others You know are using ONE OIL so be it. They will Find out IN TIME IF and that is a BIG IF it works out for them...

Personally I'll FOLLOW the Much Larger AND more Knowledgeable Crowd that does it similar to the way I do it..

If you want to Use ONE PRODUCT it is your choice..

signed....BUBBIE

PS You can direct them to read my Other post listing the many products for different things and see what they think.

Thanks for your response. Honestly, I just want to hop on my scoot and ride it when I want to and not have to be bothered with maintaining it. That's what the dealer is for and that is what I'll pay him to do, maintain my bike.

Plus we live in a gated community that has numerous restrictions on working on stuff outside. I'd hate to get a spill of oil on my driveway. This will come off as sounding snooty, but with all due respect, people in our community don't work on vehicles ourselves. We have other people do that for us.

You are not alone in leaving all your bike maintenance to a dealer or other qualified shops and noone here will slag you for doing that. As said: Your Ride You Decide.. But some of us just can't relate to that for our own reasons. Me being an old farm boy, I'm just too darn cheap to pay someone to do it for me. Especially that which I deem as being basic servicing. Major work I take to a trained mechanic. But that may change as I gain experience (and nerve). Everyone has there own comfort level.

As for one oil 3 holes, you'll get varying opinions on that. H-D says it's OK to put their Syn3 in all three holes and some have been perfectly satisfied following that recommendation (Mobil 1 and Amsoil both say using their motorcycle specific oils are OK). After all, H-D built your bike and their engineers come up with the recommendation (at least I hope it was their engineers and not some pencil pushing accountant).

H-D Formula + is basically a mineral oil with some additives similar to a GL-1 to GL-3 gear oil and cannot be used in your engine. You'll notice H-D does not recommend their HD360 oil for primary and tranny use. But additive packages are added to the synthetic engine oils to make them usable in the tranny and primary. This makes the syn3 kinda like a jack-of-all-trades but master of none.
Engine oils have some friction modifiers and wear inhibitors to decrease engine wear and must deal with combustion byproducts, heat, and assist in cooling the engine. Your tranny oil deals with high pressure from gears mashing together, some cooling but not as much cooling as the engine requires and no major combustion byproducts. Primary oil must not have excess friction modifiers for the clutch pack to work properly. Too much friction modifiers in the oil will cause your clutch to slip.
For the above reasons most will go with oils tailored to the specific needs. Engine oil for the engine, gear oil for the tranny and primary oil for the primary.

I hope this is clearer than mud. Check out the "Oil Related Tips" for more info.
Somewhere on this forum I'd posted the info on oil additives and what they do.:cheers

Here's the link to that post on friction modifiers.
Friction modifiers - Harley Davidson Community

Also remember just to muddy things up: Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki and Yamaha touring bikes all use one oil for tranny, clutch and engine. Of course that's because they only have one hole since tranny, primary and engine are encased in one unit.

We have 2 gates going into our farm.....I guess I can say I live in a gated community too! :rofl :rofl

:D

You know, doing your own stuff not only saves you money, but saves you time and a headache, too.

Time to take bike to dealer and have them change out fluids: 1 day? 2 days? A half-hour drive to get there, drop it off, sign the paperwork, and then drive back home, so more than likely 1 hour and 15 minutes.

Then, when it's done, you have to do the process all over again.

2 and a half hours, at least. You sound like a "well to do" type, so, since money isn't an issue, I can bet your time is.

Now, if you did the fluid change yourself, you save yourself ALOT of time. And yes, you can change your fluids with basically NO mechanical know-how. The only special tool you'll need is a filter wrench (and sometimes you won't even need that!).

I'd say it takes me, at tops, 45 minutes to change the oil. And that includes letting it drip out. It also costs me about one/third of the what the dealer charges. AND I'll know that I have the fluids at a correct level with the *proper* fluids in each compartment.

So, what if your lawn-mower breaks down? I guess you can't work on that in your very own driveway that you legally own? What about restoring an old car? I would HATE to live in a gated community that wouldn't let me do that! I don't mean any offense to you, it just seems illogical to me.

So, break-down time:

Stealership: 2 and a half hours of your time (at least). Bike out of action for a day or two. $100. Sub-par fluids with potential to do long-term damage to the bike.

Or

Do it yourself: An hour...maybe. Bike out of action only for that hour or so. $30, maybe $50 (all in what fluids you pick). And the satisfaction of knowing that YOU did the job to YOUR bike, and you did it RIGHT.

Followers of logic will see no flaw in this.

Doug

Back