free website stats program oil filter mount | Harley Davidson Forums

oil filter mount

locutus

i have a 1991 electra glide. stored biike at my daughters for the winter. i'm walking away and i see the oil filter and mount a danglin' in the breeze. i can feel the bolt inside where the filter mount attatches, so i know the bolt is still there. my question: how do i get at the thing? i can't wedge my hand up there. i was thinking maybe the oil tank would have to come off, but i need some advice before i start tearing into things i have no business tearing into. your knowledge would be greatly appreciated!

Best thing would be to get the shop manual for the bike and it will show you how it is put together. No doubt some things will have to come off to reinstall it but to picture what is in the way is difficult.

i have a 1991 electra glide. stored biike at my daughters for the winter. i'm walking away and i see the oil filter and mount a danglin' in the breeze. i can feel the bolt inside where the filter mount attatches, so i know the bolt is still there. my question: how do i get at the thing? i can't wedge my hand up there. i was thinking maybe the oil tank would have to come off, but i need some advice before i start tearing into things i have no business tearing into. your knowledge would be greatly appreciated!

I don't know for sure but if it is anything like my 1990 FLHS with the oil filter and mount located forward of the rear tire attached to back of transmission, but if it is, you have to take starter out and the bolt to mount filter housing is under starter at rear of transmission. Let me know how you make out.

sounds like this is a job for my wrench. starter removal seems pretty involved according to my chilton manual. i've replaced starters in cars, but never on a bike.

The primary cover has to come off the remove the starter drive to be able to get the starter out. Mostly time consuming but not a difficult job.

Back