free website stats program Oil Draining out of crank case oil line. Please help. | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Draining out of crank case oil line. Please help.

thagoob

This is driving me insane. A year ago when I returned from Afganistan i had my topend redone on my 89 softail evo. After I got the bike put back together and started it all my oil is draining out of the crank case vent line on the bottom of the engine. Ive heard a few things about sumping. im not sure that this is my issue cause it is draining all of my oil and it doesnt stop. i pulled the plug on the oil pump and pulled out the spring and ball looks ok but not sure if i should replace this or not. Bike runs good besides this issue, i dont want to ride it for fear of damaging something and oil spitting out in front of my rear tire doesnt seem safe. Please help me.

Does this happen all the time or only when you first start it or only when at higher revs
is the oil tank full prior to starting the bike
so we need a wee bit more ifo before we can be of much help
what is your rate of oil loss

Brian

Like Brian said....more info.

Has this been happening since you put it back together?

Are you sure the oil lines are properly installed?

This is driving me insane. A year ago when I returned from Afganistan i had my topend redone on my 89 softail evo. After I got the bike put back together and started it all my oil is draining out of the crank case vent line on the bottom of the engine. Ive heard a few things about sumping. im not sure that this is my issue cause it is draining all of my oil and it doesnt stop. i pulled the plug on the oil pump and pulled out the spring and ball looks ok but not sure if i should replace this or not. Bike runs good besides this issue, i dont want to ride it for fear of damaging something and oil spitting out in front of my rear tire doesnt seem safe. Please help me.

Did they have the nose cone off? If so, could the scavenger be out of time?

And that 90* el towards the bottom rear of the engine (right side) is the vent and is supposed to be piped up the the back of the AC backing plate.

TQ

If this only happens after the bike has sat for long periods of time I would take a closer look at the oil pump, but as TQ asked has the cone been off and any work done in there it is easy to get things mis algned in there

Back