free website stats program Oil Coolers and Reusable Oil Filter/Coolers together. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Coolers and Reusable Oil Filter/Coolers together.

Well, I've been trying to keep my mouth shut on this issue. However, the more I read this post, the more I want to add my 2 cents worth.

1, All oil filters are not created equal. That is why you should always use the filter that meets the EXACT specifications of the engine manufacturer.

2. New oill filters, packaged in unopened factory containers are clean, and contain no contaminants
With that said, I will add.....There is absolutely no way....and I repeat.....NO WAY that you can clean a "reuseable" filter to meet the same level of clean that you get with ANY new spin on off the shelf.
Don't believe me??.....run it by a laboratory and check it out.

3. Oil filter bypass valves work on a differential pressure....in other words, they compare incoming oil pressure (before the oil passes thru the filter) to filtered pressure (after the oil goes thru the filter media) to determine when the valve opens. This pressure is set by the filter manufacturer according to the engine manufacturers specs.(see # 1)

4. Oil filters, as set out in the specs are designed to function normally, without bypassing, for the recommended change interval set forth by said manufacturer. If you do your maintenance according to the manufacturers recommendations, you will not have a problem.
As a matter of fact, manufacturers want you to install these filters dry...just as they come out of the box, because they do not wat you to take a chance of introducing any foreign contaminant into the filter, before it is installed on the engine.....in other words they want you to spin it on dry & empty, and let the engine fill it up.

5. Modern oil, by design, API, and EPA requirments keeps small (minute) particulate matter in suspension within the oil.
This is primarily an emission driven requirement.
These minute particles are mainly products of the combustion process..soot...carbon..etc
And they are kept in suspension to be removed by filtration....thus the requirement for 5 micron filtration in the newer engines.

Reusable filters will not catch this stuff as it is designed to be caught.

I would add here also that much....and I repeat... much of the damage to bearings and rotating surfaces inside engines is caused by these minute particles of carbon, soot, dust, dirt, and other contaminants.

6. I can not think of one, 1 engine manufacturer that recommends the use of a "Reuseable" oil filter on their product.
Why do you suppose this is?????? Could it possibly be that they know for sure that the reuseables cannot and willnot do the job required of protecting their engines to the level that they require?

Enough!!.....I could keep this up but, it would really serve no purpose.
I really don't have a dog in the fight, but I do not like to see folks be led down a path that could possibly be against their best intrests.

Look, I have rebuilt hundreds of engines. I have changed thousands of oil filters. I've cut them open, I've looked at them thru microscopes, I've taken thousands of oil samples and read enough oil analysis reports to fill a small library.
I know what I have seen with my own eyes, and 1st hand experience is pretty hard to beat.
I will stick with guidlines and recommendations of the engine manufacturer..oil and filters are cheap insurance.
Always have been....always will be.

Just my opinion.....and worth what ya paid!

Many years ago it was fairly common to have reusable oil filters but they were a real pest to clean having to be washed in petrol a messy job and disposal of the dirty petrol was a pest
so a spin on spin off full flow filter incorporating a by pass valve for the same price as the couple of litres of petrol needed to wash a filter and no mess
ill stay with disposable thank you

Brian

Good stuff but I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree... I certainly am not trying to lead anyone down a path that would cause damage to their motors and as I am the one that mentioned them, I'll assume your comment was directed at me...

I could argue each point you've stated but like you said, it's not worth the effort and time... I will tell you that cleaning these filters is very easy, takes mild soap and water or degreeser... They are made out SS mesh and can be cleaned and air blown out with no problem...

I can also say that the MOCO tested the Pure Performance oil filters extensively and wanted to use them but they wanted the HD logo put on them and the owner would not allow that so the deal was not made...

This is fact, not fiction or rumor or just something pulled out of my random thoughts... Now, if the MOCO tested these filters and found them to meet their specifications and wanted them for their SE line of products, then maybe there is something to these filters... Just saying...

Please do not take any of what I said personally. I assure you that none of it was directed at you.
I have read many of your posts and have the utmost respect for your knowledge and willingness to share with us.

On this subject, You are correct. We will have to agree to disagree.

And yes the MOCO tested these filters....as have all of the other manufacturers. They would not be doing their job to their own best intrests if they did not.
Caterpillar, Cummins, GE, and all of the other heavy engine manufacturers test and evaluate every one of these products every time a new one shows up on the market.....yet, as I stated, none of them offer them as optional, standard, or even recommended options.

I have spoken my peace, and will say no more about it. Everyone needs to make their own choices, and they deserve to know all of the pros & cons that go with each.

Kind of a late post but if a spin on disposable filter is so good why are these types of filters not allowed to be used in the aviation industry?

Kind of a late post but if a spin on disposable filter is so good why are these types of filters not allowed to be used in the aviation industry?

Preference. The filters used in aircraft can be dis assembled easily to check for the condition of internal engine parts during periodic inspections.

good question. I would have to say more due to safety of the filter unscrewing during flight than anything else. aircraft engines, the oiling systems and safeties are a completely different animal than a motorcycle.
I do not know of any current aircraft engines using washable/reusable oil filters. but they do have cartridge types, as do BMW and Mercedes cars, among others.

Prat and Whitney 3350 & 4360 use the cleanable filters as only two examples and all are safety wired to prevent any mishaps as is all fasteners on them too.

Back