free website stats program Oil Cooler | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Cooler

I have an 2008 Ultra classic I just bought. (and enjoying the heck out of it). I live in the high desert of california and was wondering if a oil cooler from HD would be worth it or not. My dealer stated that if I was not in stop and go traffic I probably would not need it. Any suggestions would be great. And is this cooler for the Ultra classic from HD a good one or is there a better aftermarket one out there. Thanks

I have the HD one on my bike. The Jagg unit is well thought of in HD circles.
IMG_1042.jpg

Hey TQ, now that's the kind of info I look for. Learn from others. Thanks a bunch :s.

Joy,

De nada. I'm glad you found it useful.

If I sound a bit negative on HD, it is cause I am. Changed out the OEM 5-spd for a 6-spd a little while ago when the 5 started leaking oil. The tools and stuff I would need to do the job of redoing the 5 mounted up to about a 1/3rd of the cost of a 6-spd. So I used that as an excuse to change. I wanted the 6-spd anyway. Makes sense on a touring bike that can spend a long time at highway speeds. Dropping down about 400 rpm helps there.

Anyway, my experience with the whole 6-spd change out (Screamin' Eagle 6-spd.) tarnished the HD image for me. The whole horror story is in my post on the Transmission page.

See ya,

TQ

Joy,

De nada. I'm glad you found it useful.

If I sound a bit negative on HD, it is cause I am. Changed out the OEM 5-spd for a 6-spd a little while ago when the 5 started leaking oil. The tools and stuff I would need to do the job of redoing the 5 mounted up to about a 1/3rd of the cost of a 6-spd. So I used that as an excuse to change. I wanted the 6-spd anyway. Makes sense on a touring bike that can spend a long time at highway speeds. Dropping down about 400 rpm helps there.

Anyway, my experience with the whole 6-spd change out (Screamin' Eagle 6-spd.) tarnished the HD image for me. The whole horror story is in my post on the Transmission page.

See ya,

TQ
I remember the post, of course that was way before I ever thought I would try anything with wrenches on my bike. I am just gathering information and hoping I make the right choices. :s Of course, if everything works for me, I will think I made the right choices, and if something blows up on me, I will of course second guess what I have done. I know me :D.

Can you run the Mobile oil in all the same locations as the Syn 3 ie transmission and primary?

Thanks

Put quite simple as stated all over the forum, it's best to use a gear lube in the transmission and not an engine oil for longevity. It's also better to use a non synthetic oil in the primary like Formula+ from the dealer.

Fireguy:

I had the H-D oil cooler installed when I purchased my '08 FLHT, just because I knew the engine would run hotter than my old TC, by it being stroked to 96 c.i. I didn't want to have to deal with heat issues, and/or lean running. So, I paid the 'Harley tax' and went with the Stage 1 upgrades, incl. a Rinehart 2 into 1 exhaust system that was only slightly higher than just getting 2 free-flow aftermarket mufflers.

I'll refrain from commenting on the oil thread...

Hope this helps-Scott in IL

I have a 08 Ultra with 5800 miles on it and I recently installed an HD oil cooler kit and I replaced the ambient temperature gauge with an HD oil temp gauge kit and installed the sending unit in the oil pan. There is a definite 30 + degree difference in oil temperature when cruising on highway as when driving in city traffic. But of course, no air movement = less cooling. IMO, it does work.

I put the SE oil cooler on my '08 Ultra. Never felt the need for an oil cooler on my two previous Electra Glides, but this one runs very hot. It certainly can't hurt, especially on hot days.

The SE installation is well done and easy to install. The installation does however require a 7/16 Allen Wrench to install the new oil filter adapter that is not easy to find at your typical hardware store tool isle. You might want to plan ahead for that if you are going to do your own installation. Other than that, it was easy to install and works well.

Ride Safe

The Mobil 1 V Twin would be a much better choice for your bike than the syn 3. Mobil 1 is a full synthetic where the Syn 3 is not. It's formulated from a dino oil and not the best choice in synthetics for about the same money as the Mobil 1. Quite often the MoCo chooses the low bid when contracting out for parts/oils/tires etc. and by shopping around, you can find better products ant usually ar a better price too.
I'm with Glider on the oil. The Mobil 1 V Twin oil is a great choice, widely available, and full synthetic. I have used it since is first came out. I have also used the Mobil 1 in my 4 wheeled vehicles for many years with excellent results. Most oils available today are very high quality so you are not likely to have an issue related to the motor oil.

Mobil 1 V Twin has the proper friction properities to be used in the primary case but it not recommended for the transmission. (It would probably work ok there too, as Harley says you can use their Syn3 in the transmission)

My two cents.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Back