free website stats program Oil Cooler? | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Cooler?

Has anyone had any experience with the Billet cool oil coolers? Positive or Negative, I put one on my bike after experiencing the safety mode engine running rough in city traffic in the heat of the summer. I try to stay out of those situations and not ride in the city on hot summer days. Thanks

Oil coolers only work when air is moving thru them, doesn't matter which kind. A cooler mounted to get most un-restricted air thru it will do the best job, but sometimes the "look" isn't what owner wants, so its a compremise. Do some research, ask other owners what they have and how good it works.
wilks3
:USA

Oil coolers only work when air is moving thru them, doesn't matter which kind. A cooler mounted to get most un-restricted air thru it will do the best job, but sometimes the "look" isn't what owner wants, so its a compremise. Do some research, ask other owners what they have and how good it works.
wilks3
:USA

I have an 2008 fatboy with the 110 upgrade with the harley oil cooler installed between the front tubes . I did not have the chrome cover installed because it blends in and you dont even now its thier I like that look . On days it reaches 90 my oil temp never exceeds 210 thats after im riding for 45 min

I've got the HD cooler on my Heritage too. Sure, it won't disipate as much heat sitting in traffic, but it will disipate some. And it won't do anything until the oil hits 185 degrees. Then a valve opens and circulates oil through the cooler. I've never seen anything over 200 tank temp since installed it. Down as much as 25 deg. in some cases. I know synthetics will take higher temps, and there is a slight risk of a hose or clamp failing, but if you do a proper pre/post flight inspection, you might stay ahead of that. I want my oil at operating temp. and not much above it. I also installed an oil pressure gauge, and still see good numbers even when the cooler is working. Never noticed a drop in pressure if there was one.

Don't know about the billet coolers. I run an HD oil cooler. It helps, but for traffic I have the Lenale Fan (see Lenale Engineering Ebay Store).

If you have a dresser with an accessory switch the fan connects to it right out of the box. You just leave the fan switch on and operate the dash acc switch. which is great.

With a Dyna it supplies the Deutsch plug to hook up to your User Acc plug under the seat (looks just like the ECM data link plug) . But you have to operate the switch on the Fan which can be a distraction when you slow but don't stop enough to put it in neutral.

I plan to put a weather tite toggle switch on my bars to switch leg the circuit. Anyhow...... for heavy slow traffic you will get more cooling effect from the Fan. (mounts where the horn is and you relocate the horn).

That's the same one I bought, and from Zanotti's also. It came with pre-formed or moulded hoses that fit perfectly. It has four 1/4" black hose clamps inclded. When I tightened up the first one, it stripped, so I bought four new stainless steel clamps which I felt were a lot stronger.

... .... four 1/4" black hose clamps inclded. When I tightened up the first one, it stripped, so I bought four new stainless steel clamps which I felt were a lot stronger.

Must have been defective. Mine were black too, but if you examine them closely you can see the Stainless label on them.

I made sure and mounted mine so that the clamp bolts were facing a direction I could get to with a wrench with the oil filter on. Haven't had any leaks though. I used a thin tacky product on the adapter gasket called Permatex Tack & Seal™ Gasket Sealant, and torqued it to spec. No leaks, no runs, no residue. Totally clean crankcase and motor mount area.

After a some yrs I suspect the hoses will get old. I put AmorAll on them every time I polish the bike. HD still sells the gasket replacement kit, but for the Dyna the hose replacement kit has been discontinued. Imagine any good oil hose would bend that radius and work fine.

I'm pretty sure it's the same cooler but not always the same kit number. On my Dyna it mounts down under the voltage regulator to the motor mount bolts.
If you buy a HD cooler get it at Zanottis. Zanotti price was $230 back when I bought mine. It was $299 at the Local HD Dealer.

Thanks for the Zanotti tip. Saves me $15-$50 depending where I've found them online.

Back