free website stats program Oil Cooler Recommendation? | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Cooler Recommendation?

CalgaryBikeBum

Started teardown to build my 103. Would like to add some cooling? Should I go with Oil cooler only. Oil cooler + LeNale Fan unit? Or Lenale fan unit first then see how it goes? Its quite a bit cooler here in Canada most of the time but we have our hot days and I have been in Sturgis when its baking hot. When the bike is moving any ambient temperature below 200 degs is going to cool the engine (via air movement) Would it not make sense to only add the extra fan unit for when you are idling and have no air flow? Your opinions are appreciated.

I added the Jagg (Setrab) FLH 10-Row Horizontal Lowmount with the Oil Filter Adapter with the thermostat. Nice setup, and easy to install. Drag Specialties sells a Universal SS Braided hose that will work on the hose nipples found on the adapter and cooler. Nice touch.

With respect to the fan, do a search on that. I think one of the members here (Smitty?) had some particularly bad experience with one.

FLH 10-row Horizontal Lowmount Oil Coolers - Jagg Oil Coolers

TQ

Lenale parade fan results - Harley Davidson Community

I used a JAGG the better looking cast one. Mounted on the vertical frame left side. I also put the adaptor on the oil filter to run oil in and out. I liked the idea of being in control of the times the oil cooler was in use (in wash state n cool also) never trusted auto-valve-thermostats so i added their manual flow valve which I mounted directly below the cooler unit, attaching it right below on the cooler w/short hoses and made the unit look as one.... very neat. I had a 2000 FXDS dyna that went on..

I never had a problem with COOLING as the redline 20/50 worked well and i could be in control of the cooler when I wanted it on...

The bike never ran HOT while in Az.(cooler mostly on).. after most rides when I checked the temp of oil were LOW in the 200 to 210 deg. checked with a infra-red style gauge.

I haven't used a fan but that might be wise on my new bike 09 flhr especially when i go full time down there.

Smitty 901 has a new fan he got after a BIG problem on an older style unit.. i think the results are finding GOOD for the new unit..

I have a oil cooler waiting for the new bike(09 king) in Az. as I bot the same cooler for my 06 sportster R. ran cool stock down there and it didn't need one like the dyna but ordered it so NOW it will go on the new roadking when i get down there full time.

I doubt the oil cooler did much good while in sturgis @ fender to fender SLOW but i had no knowledge of the fan at that time..

YES the fan is a for sure on my KING list, along with the cooler it should work good in that HOT country.

signed....BUBBIE

i would go with oil cooler vs the fan . i have the hd version think they are or were made by jagg on mine

For the horizontal low-mount version, I would be concerned about picking up a rock and puncturing the cooler, and the oil running out while on the road. Are my concerns valid?

Enjoy,
Rich P

With the vertical mount 10-row (mounting parallel to the engine), how do you get the filter wrench past the oil lines, when changing the filter?

Enjoy,
Rich P

Last edited by a moderator:
oil lines are low 7 o'clock easy to change filter i have got vertical 10 row.no problem

+1 for cooler got bike new 80 deg weather oil ran 250 deg... after jagg 10 row verticle 210 deg all day long . any speed..

For the horizontal low-mount version, I would be concerned about picking up a rock and puncturing the cooler, and the oil running out while on the road. Are my concerns valid?

Enjoy,
Rich P

With the vertical mount 10-row (mounting parallel to the engine), how do you get the filter wrench past the oil lines, when changing the filter?

Enjoy,
Rich P

i havent heard anyone have that happen yet.. frent fender deflects a lot of the stuff .. wrench goes right past the lines to get to the oil filter

Back