free website stats program Oil consumption | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil consumption

52chevy

How much is normal oil consumption between oil changes? The reason I ask is because I just changed my oil for the second time and it was approximately 1/2 to 3/4 low. 2004 dyna lowrider fxdli 45k

I forgot to add I change it every 3 to 4 k redline 20w50 synthetic

Last edited by a moderator:
Assuming you do not have a leak anywhere, I think that's too much. I change mine every 5K and it's usually not down more than 1/4 of full on the dipstick. I have 35K on the clock. Also use 20/50 syn Mobile 1. 2008 Softail

Assuming you do not have a leak anywhere, I think that's too much. I change mine every 5K and it's usually not down more than 1/4 of full on the dipstick. I have 35K on the clock. Also use 20/50 syn Mobile 1. 2008 Softail

I meant to say 1/2 to 3/4 of A quart now that it’s changed I realized I have over filled it not by much cold but a lot when warmed up. So I’m going to drain some out this weekend. So now I’m wondering if it was only a 1/4 to 1/2 a quart low. Next time I’m going only add 2 and half quarts then recheck when warm.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you change the oil. Start bike and let it get to operating temperature. This will allow the oil to fill up the oil filter and oil passages/lines and also allow the oil pump to scavenge the oil that that is sitting in the cases and get the oil to the level in cases. Check the oil level and if it within the full and a little low take the bike for a short ride so it is at operating oil temperature. When you get home check oil level with bike hot and service with oil. Always check oil after ride this way you will get a true oil level

Oil should be up to temperature before you change it.....2.5 qt is what it should hold for a normal oil change, you could start at 2 qt and go up from there.

As mentioned above by Frenchie and liquid_wrench, oil level should be checked at operating temp. A turkey baster with a piece of tubing attached is an easy way to remove oil from the tank without making a mess.

JMHO but how confident can the OP be that he knows what the oil level was after the last change? If the level was not checked properly, i.e., on the jiffy stand and at full operating temps, the OP may not have accurate measurement data.:oops:

As has been previously posted, check oil at operating temps. at this point, the OP should not add any oil until he has drained whatever he is going to drain; ridden the bike to operating temps, say 10-20 miles and check to establish an accurate level. If low add whatever necessary to bring level up to or close to full. Ride again for just a few minutes and check. Now the OP has an accurate level, take a picture and ride for 1000 miles before checking again.

1/4 to 1/2 quart every 4K miles is nothing to be alarmed about. Also fill to full, don't buy into the "run 1/2 quart low" BS. If blow by is presenting, it's not the oil level but most likely the head breathers are not functioning like new.

JMHO but how confident can the OP be that he knows what the oil level was after the last change? If the level was not checked properly, i.e., on the jiffy stand and at full operating temps, the OP may not have accurate measurement data.:oops:

As has been previously posted, check oil at operating temps. at this point, the OP should not add any oil until he has drained whatever he is going to drain; ridden the bike to operating temps, say 10-20 miles and check to establish an accurate level. If low add whatever necessary to bring level up to or close to full. Ride again for just a few minutes and check. Now the OP has an accurate level, take a picture and ride for 1000 miles before checking again.

1/4 to 1/2 quart every 4K miles is nothing to be alarmed about. Also fill to full, don't buy into the "run 1/2 quart low" BS. If blow by is presenting, it's not the oil level but most likely the head breathers are not functioning like new.

Well said dolt, does the bike have vented to atmosphere breathers. Or some type of air cleaner bypass. That was my first thought when I read this. That old of a bike if it has stock breathers most likely has dried out umbrellas.

The easiest way to check the crankcase breather system(umbrellas) is when you get ready to drain your oil leave the dip stick secured. Remove the oil drain plug, oil will start to come out slowly, then remove the dip stick and oil will flow out at a faster rate this tells you the crankcase vent system is working properly umbrella’s are seating properly

The easiest way to check the crankcase breather system(umbrellas) is when you get ready to drain your oil leave the dip stick secured. Remove the oil drain plug, oil will start to come out slowly, then remove the dip stick and oil will flow out at a faster rate this tells you the crankcase vent system is working properly umbrella’s are seating properly
There's actually a way to check them without draining the oil. Everyone gives me guff about it though. You disconnect the hose from each breather and blow through it. You should be able to suck air but not blow. Ahh, the flavor of gasoline infused oil! Real men do this....

Back