free website stats program oil choice | Harley Davidson Forums

oil choice

bubbu

I have been using Castrol synthetic 20/50 in my 87 1100 sporty and someone told me I should'nt use that in the harley. They said to use harley oil or even oil that is for diesel engines other than the Castrol. I didn't disagree with him because I never heard that before. Any feedback would be helpful, I hope I haven't been putting in the wrong oil and doing any kind of damage to the bike. Damn.

Baloney, from a H D factory rep and a good friend of mine a H D tech Castrol is fine, we ran it in our EVOS for years

Air cooled engines need more phosphorus and zinc than water cooled. Motorcycle specific oils usually have that. I used Castrol GTX 20/50 in my '87 Sportster for the 15 years I had it, & it's still running. I used GTX in my '92 Dyna for about 50 K miles, & it still runs like a new one. Oil with a diesel rating (like Shell Rotella) is also good. There will never be an agreement or an end to the oil discussions.

Air cooled engines need more phosphorus and zinc than water cooled. Motorcycle specific oils usually have that. I used Castrol GTX 20/50 in my '87 Sportster for the 15 years I had it, & it's still running. I used GTX in my '92 Dyna for about 50 K miles, & it still runs like a new one. Oil with a diesel rating (like Shell Rotella) is also good. There will never be an agreement or an end to the oil discussions.

That is why I like Castrol being SG rated it has the levels of zinc needed:D

Back