free website stats program Oil Change Question | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Change Question

fxdc1951

I use Mobil One V-Twin Full Synthetic 20w-50 oil in my bike. Getting ready for the last ride of the season, so I'll be putting it away til Spring. I have about 18-1900 miles on the oil since I changed it. Would you change it again before storage, or just put it away and ride it a few more thousand miles next year before changing? I know all the stories about dirty oil in your bike over winter, etc., and I've always changed my oil before putting my bike away. But it seems a waste of $$$$ to throw out $11.00 per qt. oil after less than 2,000 miles. what do you think?

Tough call, I always kept clean oil in it for winter lay up, the acids and blow by can lay in the case and oil galleries, if you do not want to change you may fire it up once a month and run it up to temp to burn off the condensation JMO

If you feel comfortable with the "old" oil over the winter, then don't change it. I agree with Jack on this. Either run it once a month up to temp or change the oil before storage. The same with the fuel. Treat it or fill it. Keeping the moisture out is the critical part here. :s

Last edited:
I was told, over 40 years ago, to NEVER leave "old" oil in your bike over the winter. Always store with clean/fresh oil, because dirty oil has contaminates which will "eat" at your engine over the winter. I'm just wondering how "dirty" top brand synthetic oil can be with less than 2,000 miles on it.

I was told, over 40 years ago, to NEVER leave "old" oil in your bike over the winter. Always store with clean/fresh oil, because dirty oil has contaminates which will "eat" at your engine over the winter. I'm just wondering how "dirty" top brand synthetic oil can be with less than 2,000 miles on it.

its not that dirty. I am going to leave my "old" oil in the bike until spring. has probably 1000 miles on it. I had an oil test done at 2500 miles and it was fine.

My boyfriend and his buddies leave the old oil in their hot rods over the winter. Some have 20 30 k in their engines. They are fine in the spring. Are Harley's that fragile? We need to get clarification from the Moco on this topic.

I have had numerous bikes before my Harley and none get a oil change just to sit all winter. If its due then a different story. In 25 years of riding and owning bikes, I have never had a negative effect from not changing oil just because winter is coming.......

I have had numerous bikes before my Harley and none get a oil change just to sit all winter. If its due then a different story. In 25 years of riding and owning bikes, I have never had a negative effect from not changing oil just because winter is coming.......

I have to agree, and no Harleys aren't that fragile. I think it comes down to peace of mind. If a $40/$50 oil change give you peace of mind through the winter than what's the harm. JMO

As one of the great founding members of our forum was famous for saying "Your ride,you decide"

I was going to post something on the same note. But I just bought a 2014 and only have 130 miles on her. The Dealer new that riding time would be short for me and just said just make sure you get back for the 1000 mile check up !

Back