free website stats program Oil Change Question? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Change Question?

This actually brings up a Question I had but can not find the answer to. Maybe others have experienced the same. I have only tried this one time.

If I get my engine hot, then let it sit for 15 minutes and remove the oil filter, the oil in the filter runs out all over the place as you would expect.
But if I let the bike sit for a couple of days, and remove the oil filter from a stone cold un-started engine, the filter will be completely empty. Not a drop of oil will come out.

I researched to see if there is some kind of check valve or 1 way valve to prevent oil from draining out of the filter but could not find anything about it.

I have seen where some oil check valves was actually in the filter itself but don't know if that is the case with HD filters.

Funny thing is, whenever I start the bike (even after days of non use), the oil light does go immediately off.

I don't like the idea that my filter needs to refill if the bike has been sitting for a couple of days.
Would anyone know if a check valve does exist. And if so where is it located.

Hoop

The drain back valve is located in the filter itself and should stop most of the drain back when the bike is turned off but they don't always do the job. Remember too that when the bike sits the oil viscosity is a bit thicker than when it is hot.
It's not uncommon for the light to stay on briefly while the system pressurizes too. Some filters are constructed better than others.

Motorcycle Oil Filters Air Filters

tn156s3.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome info. So if I had a bad check valve, it went out in the trash as the used filter.

Thanks Glider, It had me a little concerned and I feel a LOT better now!.

I don't know about you guys, but watching the "Complete oil change video" the oil kinda just "glugged" out of the hose into the cup, and took a bit of time for the clean oil to run out. That oil was "room temperature". The oil filter is like a sponge, and takes a while for the oil to soak in...your manual says to fil it with 4 ozs or so and rotate to wet the element (about 1/2 full), after throughly soaking the element. Makes sense to me, and in practice I usually have to add some more to bring it up to 1/2. It may be a few seconds to fill the oil filter, why not help things along a bit...just my way and always did it since old auto shop (my teacher Stan Vermeil was a racer on the weekends...anyone remember Offenhauser?) and never saw any reason to change.

manual says to fil it with 4 ozs or so and rotate to wet the element (about 1/2 full), after throughly soaking the element. .

Sounds like a Great plan and practice. I took a look in both service & owners manual for '09 and they don't mention to pre-fill with a little oil. (?)
I think it is a Great Idea.

When looking at a filter the small holes towards the outer edge is the inlet of the filter and if looking in them you see some rubber thats the check valve

personally i always add oil to the filter prior to fitting pour it in and you can see it soak into the filter element

Brian

When looking at a filter the small holes towards the outer edge is the inlet of the filter and if looking in them you see some rubber thats the check valve

Brian

Yep, I could not resist. After Glider told me about the check valve, I had to tear a filter apart. Just like you said, a rubber disc that covers a series of outside holes along with a metal washer and heavy spring. That is 1 beautiful filter element also. I use to think the price for the filter was a little steep. Now after seeing what was inside I don't see how they can even make it for that price. It's a bargain.

Back