free website stats program oil cap turned sideways | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

oil cap turned sideways

Had the same problem w/my 07 Sportster.....Took the "O" ring off and it works fine, so the problem seems to be with the size of the "O" ring. I got a slightly thinner ring, one that still seals, but allows the cap to insert,seal and turn to the correct position.

I also found my New old one way too big and the problem all over again... Next time a smaller O ring in the books for me... :D

Signed....BUBBIE

I have an 06 with the same problem. My fix was to replaced the cap's O-ring with a smaller inside diameter one.
Went from 1 1/4" id X 1/8" to a 1 1/8" id X 1/8". The cap fits snug with no oil leakage and can be removed easily.

John

The chrome popup oil cap on Sportsters has always been problematic, often even on the HD showroom floor you will see them not turned flush to the oil tank profile.

I don't know too much about Sportsters, but what can't / doesn't the MOCO just use a threaded cap?

I have an 06 with the same problem. My fix was to replaced the cap's O-ring with a smaller inside diameter one.
Went from 1 1/4" id X 1/8" to a 1 1/8" id X 1/8". The cap fits snug with no oil leakage and can be removed easily.

John

Thanks for the size info' trainman/John, I'm going to try the smaller one...

I do find the drops of oil on the threaded ID does help.. for a while.

signed....BUBBIE

I've never seen such a goofy setup in my LIFE, man

Yes, it UNSCREWS ok, the manual says "1/4 turn"...(EDIT)
it screws in fine for 1/4 turn but THEN you have to keep turning it until it lines up...that's the (EDIT)

After the first few times I just started taking the seat OFF. Much easier.
Thankfully, my 05 Roadster doesn't need checked that often.

Nice bike other than that fiasco

Please read this...

HDTimeline Language Policy - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_4776.JPG
This seems to be an unanswered topic that appears to be unclear or at the very least unanswered/confusing and a mind twister when trying to do it and I wanted to bring it to light. The issue involves in checking the oil on a 2006 Harley Sportster L1200 or similar style of oil cap with a dip stick. If the pictures showed up above and below, the cap only goes in (drops) , in one position, and when it drops in, push down with good pressure and turn it to the right until it aligns flush horizontally and not vertical like one of the pictures shows below.

Remember when it drops down into the slot, push down and turn clockwise to the right until it aligns like the picture below, it should be flush.

My bike is like a new bike with 4,500 miles and there is nothing broken with the cap, its just awkward turning an oily chrome cap close to the seat, try to use a rag or medical gloves when turning the cap.

I always seem to forget how to do it and there are no clear YouTube posts about it.

Attachments

• IMG_4777.JPG
    IMG_4777.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
View attachment 17617
This seems to be an unanswered topic that appears to be unclear or at the very least unanswered/confusing and a mind twister when trying to do it and I wanted to bring it to light. The issue involves in checking the oil on a 2006 Harley Sportster L1200 or similar style of oil cap with a dip stick. If the pictures showed up above and below, the cap only goes in (drops) , in one position, and when it drops in, push down with good pressure and turn it to the right until it aligns flush horizontally and not vertical like one of the pictures shows below.

Remember when it drops down into the slot, push down and turn clockwise to the right until it aligns like the picture below, it should be flush.

My bike is like a new bike with 4,500 miles and there is nothing broken with the cap, its just awkward turning an oily chrome cap close to the seat, try to use a rag or medical gloves when turning the cap.

I always seem to forget how to do it and there are no clear YouTube posts about it.

I always have to use a rubber strap tool. The strap wraps around the oil cap and I carefully use it like a wrench, not too much force needed. Wonderful little tool and very cheap too.98766.jpg

You are welcome. It's a great little tool for loosening the oil filter too. The Sportster oil filters are in an awkward position.

That is why I always buy a KN-170C with a 17mm nut on the end.....they sell for $8.15 cents at Walmart.com.....they then send them to your local Walmart for free shipping.....I bought 3 of them....have one on now.....buy them while they are on sale.

Back