free website stats program Oil cap popping open | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil cap popping open

None of the oil hoses were touched in all the work done. I double checked the umbrellas and gaskets, I saw in the repair book how easily they could be installed wrong. @Bubbie, that's interesting. I never would expect gears jumping time. I've seen it with chain and belt getting slack from wear. guess that needs to go on list to check out. The filter is a chrome K&N for wideglide, which a bit longer than a standard one.
BTW, Jack, I noticed the bike(trike) on your avatar. Is it an aftermarket rearend? I had just installed a frankenstien on mine and wondered where I could find a body kit to put over it. wondering where you got the body from.

Nope, mine is a HD Freewheeler, 2015 FLRT

None of the oil hoses were touched in all the work done. I double checked the umbrellas and gaskets, I saw in the repair book how easily they could be installed wrong. @Bubbie, that's interesting. I never would expect gears jumping time. I've seen it with chain and belt getting slack from wear. guess that needs to go on list to check out. The filter is a chrome K&N for wideglide, which a bit longer than a standard one.
BTW, Jack, I noticed the bike(trike) on your avatar. Is it an aftermarket rearend? I had just installed a frankenstien on mine and wondered where I could find a body kit to put over it. wondering where you got the body from.

Plastic WORN gears did on My 97 EVO...

Metal replacements solved that problem.:D

signed....BUBBIE

Here is an exploded view of your top end, do you have the rocker gaskets installed correctly?
HD98FXD003.gif

HD98FXD003.gif

Sorry here is the view

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, rocker gaskets and umbrellas are correct. Pulled the nosecone today to check gear alignment. noticed lots of markings on the cam gear so double-checked my repair books and pics I could find online. found none like what I have. all of the pics show 2 dots or 2 lines. mine has two different sets of marks on cam with about the same spacing. one set of small circles with a larger "O" next to them and another set with an "A" next to them. lined up with "O" marks and camshaft keyway is positioned same as seen in all pics so I assume I chose right set of marks. breather gear lines up, it didn't jump time. so I guess breather ruled out.

Had already ordered a steel gear, so swapping it anyway once part gets here. Damaged my ignition module while pulling it out. looked up to order another and found no one carries a crane hi-4 anymore. wound up ordering a hi-4n which is similar but adjustment is a lot different.

How about a pic of the cam. I've never seen one with 2 sets of marks. Do you know the brand? They are usually stamped with something on the back side.
tourbox

IMG_20150404_154617724.jpg

hmmm... that don't look right. thought it would be bigger.

Kind of hard to see in pic but the Oo marks are at bottom of gear lined up with other gears. there are 2 other sets marked as Ao, and Ro.

I did a search with the numbers I found on the gear. Fo und out it's a v-thunder vt-3000 cam by comp cams. downloaded their manual and theres all the marks. R-(retard), A-(advance), and O-straight up (oem).
Anyway, the mark on the breather gear was lined up and had not jumped time, so now must try to figure out what else is causing the prob.

OK. Does you engine have an OEM oil pump? If so, I would carefully take out the two large caps (#14 & #17) on the top of the oil pump. The higher one has the oil pressure relief valve and spring under it, and the lower one has a ball check valve and spring under it. Clean out the ports carefully to make sure there is nothing on the wall of the oil pressure relief valve, and nothing on the seat of the check valve. When you have them clean, jam a popsicle stick on the relief valve plunger and then insert it in the port. Move it up and down to make sure there are no spots in the travel where the plunger binds.

Clean up everything and reinstall.

See here:

EVO Oil Pump

See if that helps.

Cheers,

TQ

Last edited:
Back