free website stats program Oil cap/dipstick seems very easy to remove..... | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil cap/dipstick seems very easy to remove.....

DannyDeluxe

I have 2011 FLSTN, it just seems like the cap is very easy to get off. It's never popped off while riding but that is my fear. I guess my question is if this is normal or should it be a snug fit? Mine slides out with no effort what so ever. Thank you....

My softail dipstick is tight although it is an aftermarket one with an analogue temp gauge

Brian

I have 2011 FLSTN, it just seems like the cap is very easy to get off. It's never popped off while riding but that is my fear. I guess my question is if this is normal or should it be a snug fit? Mine slides out with no effort what so ever. Thank you....
I have an '08 FLSTN and my dipstick is quite the snug fit.
I would suggest for your own peace of mind that once you've checked out dbmg's link, and you're happy that all is ok, then it's treat time.
I shudder just thinking about losing the Dipstick at highway speeds----

Loosing the dipstick is lesser of the two evils. Think of the mess its going to make.

I bought an aftermarket one with the analog temp gauge a few years ago. It fit loose enough that it worried me. It has grooves in the rubber and I got a couple o-rings that fit in the grooves and made it just a bit larger in diameter. It's worked perfectly for some time now.

Loosing the dipstick is lesser of the two evils. Think of the mess its going to make.

When mine popped out up in the mountains, I thought I lost a lot of oil, ended up being just a little, but it sure did smoke a lot, all over the pipes and oil tank and het chaps, what a mess!

I know what you mean by the mess if it were to come out.
I was stopped at a gas station and a guy in the next lane over started his bike and when he revved up the engine so we could all hear his pipes the dip stick shot out and oil sprayed the ceiling, that's like 20 feet up.

Back