free website stats program oil blowing out breather | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

oil blowing out breather

I have had this problem with my 2000 also. I tried the venting to the ground trick but found that it actually pulled the oil out? LIke a venturi action? I put things back to stock (rubber tubes shooting into carb throat) and clean the filter regular . So far the puking of oil has been reduced. I did order the bypass kit that sends the return or vent from the cam chest straight to the oil filler spout. It hasn't come yet so we'll see. I will also realign my oil pump (although I did that when I did my 95 conversion and put cam chain tensioners in) and replace breather umbrellas in my heads. Not sure what else to do?

DID you go with the KIT or equivalent???( i know i have asked this before)

THE NEW HD pump n cam plate that come with the newer style HYDRAULIC tensioners or JUST replace the pump n shoes with stock HD parts?

I had the OIL problem in my 2000 UNTIL A LARGER VOLUME OIL PUMP WAS USED.....THEN i used fueling for 400$$ and todays KIT for MOST needed stuff is 429.$$$

I did have FOAM from the crank area(too much sump oil) and pushing into the heads.. WITH the higher volume pump that QUIT..(.)

I know for a fact (in my case) that the stock OIL PUMP didn't take out ENOUGH oil (SUMP) fast enough and my engine was foaming from the TOO MUCH at the crank.....

A lot of BLOW-BY will ALSO cause the same condition of blowing oil out INTHRU the banjo bolts in heads to the AIR CLEANER.... in that case a direct flow of VENT pressure from engine will help...

signed....BUBBIE

Just wondering here. Is it not possible that if realignment of the oil pump does not fix the problem, that the pump itself may need rebuild or replacement?

have the same problem on the 01 rk. replaced umbrella seals at 17,000 then went to mist-free seals at 27,000. it was terrible w/ dino oil. less w/ syn 3 and still annoying w/ mobil 1 but not quite as bad. just marking territory i guess. using an se air cleaner w/o the backing plate.

Just wondering here. Is it not possible that if realignment of the oil pump does not fix the problem, that the pump itself may need rebuild or replacement?

IT's been SUGGESTED many times (with me common knowledge) that the OLD STYLE oil pump in 1999 thru 2006 big bikes, is the CAUSE of TOO MUCH OIL in the crank SUMP area... CAUSING foaming oil and pumped out thru the BANJOS into the air system AND all over the bike as well.

ALSO a HUGE power loss when put on a dyno expecting more power ONLY to be short-fall by MASS OIL HOLDING THE MOTOR BACK.

I replaced mine, way back then in 2000, to a HIGH VOLUME oil pump,,, Fueling ,,,, THAT SOLVED the OIL problem ....

HARLEY changed to a BIGGER VOLUME oil pump along with the BETTER hydraulic tension system in 07 big bikes along with the 6 speed box.

The "KIT" offered by HD TODAY,is a COST EFFECTIVE way to upgrade the older twin-cam to the better TROUBLE-WORRY free system of today... $429.99 for MOST of the needed parts...

I just finished a long talk with a friend of mine today, asking ME if the TFI and the KIT up grade to the newer style system was worth while on his 2001 bike....

YOU should KNOW my response, YES. AND I would HELP him do the conversion...(a good friend)

I thought when I bought my 2009 FLHR I would UPGRADE the chain cams to a gear drive.....

I EVEN talked about it here on HDTALKING, HOW I was going to CHANGE to gear drive and SMITTY 901 (LOL),,, was the one who squared me away from that IDEA... He planted the seed and
AFTER a lengthly study on my own, I changed my mind...

NOW I feel GEAR DRIVE to be UN-NECESSARY because of the BETTER HYDRAULIC system in todays bikes

BUT with another CAN OF WORMS called CRANK RUN-OUT.. the newer CHAIN system is a MORE forgiving way to STAY....

signed....BUBBIE

I thought i was in another world or something...... I didn't notice I answered with a similar opinion a few post back.... WELL it's gotta be the truth as i can't remember the story much differently..

sorry for the REPEAT

signed....BUBBIE

I thought i was in another world or something...... I didn't notice I answered with a similar opinion a few post back.... WELL it's gotta be the truth as i can't remember the story much differently..

sorry for the REPEAT

signed....BUBBIE

Its OK Bubbie, its all part of getting older and wiser, Jack

I started this post a while back . Here is what harley had to do. They replaced the oil pump and the cam plate. It stopped the oil for about 150 miles. I took it back and harley put a new engine in it. I haven't been able to run the new one very much because of the weather. My shop said the crank was out of speck and was throughing the oil pump out of aline. :) They had replaced the breather assy, and compression check twice.

Sorry . I know you addressed that message specifically to Canuck but the oil bypass hose kit I installed seems to help? However on bikes after 2003 i believe they already have that item so that won't be your problem. I am tearing mine back down here in about 2 weeks to build it into a 103. I am going to inspect those umbrella seals then too.

HAHAHA Bubbie; I"m in another world too. I replied without readin to last posts. Yes. I bought the Harley bypass Kit. How can you go wrong? It was $65 (US) and came with New oil filler spout assy.New hose. new Fittings and clamps (i just use wormgear clamps instead of hd crimps). When I do my 103 conversion I too am getting the HD Camplate /new oil pump conversion update. That too is a sweet deal compared to other options. And I'm putting new cams in anyways so its all good. :D Just spoke to Chicago HD today. All parts are being shipped today except camplate as they are backorderd for another week. Yahoo.

Back