free website stats program Ohm meter with 1k hertz continuity tester | Harley Davidson Forums

Ohm meter with 1k hertz continuity tester

dangerdan

There have been quite a few problems on this site which required the use of an ohm meter. Some of the better meters have a continuity option which generates a 1k tone when shorted together. I find this feature provides greater flexibility in checking intermittent shorts and opens. When working in an awkward position or bright light, one could easily miss the flicker of a digital display or analogue needle. With tone, its either on or off.

Dangerdan, being an electrician by trade and using a multimeter on a daily basis, the 1k tone is very helpful when troubleshooting intermittent shorts and such, but what it doesn't do is tell you what the resistance is which could lead to other problems. but it is a good quick way to find broken wires.:newsmile036:

The good news is even without the tone, Digital Multi-Meters are available for under $10 which is pretty amazing (at Harbor Freight) which is fine for most testing you will do. Just get in the practice of using it and use heat shrink tubing to insulate exposed metal tip sides to minimize shorting, and I sharpen them with a file to be able to get in tight places. And remember to use ohmmeter on non-powered circuits. voltage is parallel, current in series with one side of the electric ckt, never across a battery (max is usually 10A).

I will also use a small 12 volt security siren as a continuity tester when working alone, maybe not so much on a bike but on a car to test fuel pump circuits where you are at one end of the car and the meter is at the other end of the car.

Back