free website stats program Octane | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Octane

Just wondering TQ, why no aviation fuel? I use to run my off road stuff on the 130 octane avgas and they ran great.

High compression = need for High octane (slower burning)

Too high octane will Not develop the power needed to run a Low compression (normal) motor...

85 octane has More BTU's than 92 octane, thus more power in lower octane..

Octane is used to Slow and Even the burn rate of the fuel.. It helps by Not allowing early Pre-ignition and from exploding under compression.... Fuel needs to Burn evenly, not blowing up and damaging the piston-crank by trying to run engine backwards...

95 would be a good stopping place on the Ron system of measurement..

91 will do the job on these HD engines Unless you have Higher than stock compression...

Hot days and Hot motor temperatures do cause our engines to have the need for MORE octane than normal cool conditions do... This is why some will hear a little rattle then and think it to be bad gas when it is not... Just a lot of High temps.

signed....BUBBIE

Just wondering TQ, why no aviation fuel? I use to run my off road stuff on the 130 octane avgas and they ran great.

100LL avgas contains lead, I'm not familiar with 130 but modern emissions components and leaded fuel don't seem like a good combination.

Does anyone know of an O2 sensor safe octane booster? Ran into a small dilemma when I was riding in AZ last year, and the only thing available was 87 and we were all getting low. Thankfully, we made it the next 15 miles and everything was good, but it got me thinking that a little bottle of booster in the bike may not be a bad idea.

I have Screaming eagle heads on my 94Wideglide 9.5-1 compression do I need more that 91octane?

NO the 91 should do it....

Does anyone know of an O2 sensor safe octane booster? Ran into a small dilemma when I was riding in AZ last year, and the only thing available was 87 and we were all getting low. Thankfully, we made it the next 15 miles and everything was good, but it got me thinking that a little bottle of booster in the bike may not be a bad idea.

Not with the O2 sensors but IF your bike Is an 09 with TFI,,, You can use a mixture of Diesel or kerosene to do the trick.... 40 to 1 ratio will do wonders...

My 2000 dyna carbed model with very HIGH compression at a gas station in the middle of farmsville with only 85 octane available ran its best on the diesel to gas mix of 40/1... No 02 sensors to worry about.

signed....BUBBIE

Try Duralt from the Dealer:s

All I can find around Las Vegas area is 90 to 91 octane. I would like to try 92 and see if its worth the cost difference. Just for kicks.

All I can find around Las Vegas area is 90 to 91 octane. I would like to try 92 and see if its worth the cost difference. Just for kicks.

I doubt if anyone could detect Any Difference in 1 octane.....If 100 octane? maybe..... The HD's are Very Smart and have been for many years.... Adjusting themselves without a problem to compensate for the mixes of fuel today.....The electronics of which Hoople understands are a working wonder to me... NO knock No this and No that.... Takes all the fun away when trying to TUNE the motors..

I do Know ONE good product that WILL improve a stock to modified Harley and that being the TFI..

Giving the proper amount of fuel to a motor will add a smile to your face:D

signed....BUBBIE

Back