free website stats program Not Sure If New Oil Temp Gauge Is Working Right | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Not Sure If New Oil Temp Gauge Is Working Right

Glider,

I went out and looked and, yes, my bike still has the extra plug next to the drain plug like in your picture. I need to go for a ride today anyway so I guess I'll head up to the dealer and have a discussion with the parts folks about this whole issue.

Bottom line is it's already installed the way it is so I just want to get it working. I'll pursue the grounding issue which everyone seems to be in agreement on.

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

Don't rule out that being this is a new part from Harley that it will work right. It's their responsibility to get it working the way it should work so if it means moving the pickup to the oil pan, they have to oblige you there.:s

Very strange setup for sure.

At Glider's request, here are the photos. I'd only go out in a cold garage in slippers and shorts for you guys! Yes, that's where the adapter goes.

Interesting. If you DO NOT have an oil cooler, what is that thing for? Looks bulky enough to have something in it (like a thermostat), and it even looks like the spot where the sending unit is (BTW, does look like there is teflon tape there) and the spot next to it is where the hoses would plumb in for a cooler. Have you got a part number for it?

Looking at a picture of the Premium Oil Cooler Kit from Latus HD, there is an adapter that looks like your part. This is definitely part of the HD oil cooler kit. See here and click over to picture #2:

Premium Oil Cooler Kit, 26155-07, This cooler was designed specifically for Harley-Davidso

Here is some data from this morning's ride to work:

Departed at 8:43a, ambient air temp 45*

Oil temp gage read "100" (lowest number) until 9:01 when it started to rise. At that point was just off highway and riding surface streets with lots of lights, stop signs, and school zones.

Oil temp hit 170 at 9:06a

Arrived at parking lot at 9:13a. Oil temp at that time ~180 (between first mark and second mark above 170. Next number is 200. Five marks from 170 to 200). Oil pressure at idle ~15psi.

TQ

Last edited:
From all that I have read, The only purpose that this adapter serves is to provide a place to mount the sending unit.
The adapter is called for for the installation of an oil cooler, or the addition of an oil temperature gauge.
Right at this point, I do not know if it is the same part number adapter or not.
Also, I do not know if there is a particular reason why they do not just have you install the sending unit into the pan. Possibly they feel there is a more exact reading using the adapter.....or more than likely, just an oportunity to sell you more parts!

From all that I have read, The only purpose that this adapter serves is to provide a place to mount the sending unit.
The adapter is called for for the installation of an oil cooler, or the addition of an oil temperature gauge.
Right at this point, I do not know if it is the same part number adapter or not.
Also, I do not know if there is a particular reason why they do not just have you install the sending unit into the pan. Possibly they feel there is a more exact reading using the adapter.....or more than likely, just an oportunity to sell you more parts!

I think you nailed it with your last sentence.

Rode up to the dealer where I bought it and had a nice, long conversation with the parts guy. He got on his "master computer site" and confirmed what I thought - Harley and the instruction sheets for the oil temp gauge say that this adapter is REQUIRED for '07 and later models. Parts guy tells me this is basically baloney. He knows plenty of people who have used the extra plug in the oil pan just like pre '07 models. The HD site he used and the instruction sheet for the HD oil cooler also REQUIRE this adapter. Near as the 2 of us could figure out, HD is "requiring" this adapter when installing the gauge to "simplify" things if you decide to add a cooler in the future. Funny thing is, with the cooler AND gauge installed, the sending unit for the gauge gets moved out of the adapter and has to be added to one of the lines for the cooler!

Bottom line - I think HD saw an opportunity to make the adapter a REQUIRED part in 2 different applications. Once again, I read the instructions letter for letter and took Harley at their word that this thing was required. Oh well, live and learn. At least now I have the adapter in place if I decide to add the oil cooler someday.

Anyone that is contemplating adding the cooler at a later date with this adapter with the inline temp gauge, take the extra time and install the temp gauge in the oil pan for a better, more accurate and leak free installation.

You'll be glad you did.

Interesting read. Never heard of this. I installed a McEwan temp gauge on my 08 EGC using the oil pan plug. Quick install. Guess times are getting rough at the MOCO for them to start this silliness. glad you got it figured out and hope you get the gauge working properly.

You know, folks like Smitty are always recommending you go with HD items whenever possible, with the exception of the cheap boots - :s
Better chance of everything fitting properly the first time through, high quality, etc.

An experience like this has really turned me off - I basically spent around $65 for something I did not need, despite the fact that official HD docmentation in 2 places stated it was REQUIRED. Hopefully all this will blow over and I won't think about these last few days every time I look down at my oil temperature.

You know, folks like Smitty are always recommending you go with HD items whenever possible, with the exception of the cheap boots - :s
Better chance of everything fitting properly the first time through, high quality, etc.

An experience like this has really turned me off - I basically spent around $65 for something I did not need, despite the fact that official HD docmentation in 2 places stated it was REQUIRED. Hopefully all this will blow over and I won't think about these last few days every time I look down at my oil temperature.

Always ask first and buy next :s

Don't beat yourself up too badly Doc. Remember, there are normally several different ways to attack any situation.
Just appears that this time, you elected to use the VOR approach when ya could have shot the ILS! :rofl

Back