free website stats program Not happy with quick release sissy bar and luggage rack | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Not happy with quick release sissy bar and luggage rack

I have had the same problem for a little over a year. To solve it I cut a piece of black electrical tape to match the inner width of the back lugs. Then I made a single wrap around the lug. No more rattle and the backrest and rack have been on and off six to eight times during the year.

I just got a 2010 Wide Glide.I was looking at this luggage rack /sissy bar ( about 470 bucks worth) as a way to put up a t-bag. I was wondering if the tail lights needed relocating? Moving the lights with harley's system for saddle bags is ugly and you have to re-locate the plate as well. I like the side mount plate and the look of the fender.:cheers

I was wondering if the tail lights needed relocating? :cheers

On my 2009 FXDL the Turn signal Lights had to be extended further out. Did not have to do anything to the tail light. The kit comes with longer chrome stems that move the turn signal lights about 1" further out.
Hope this helps.

Hoop!

So would it be a good idea to stay away from the detatchable sissy bar and rack? I was thinking of getting one for my Dyna too.

I tried the electrical tape as mentioned above and it has helped.I will probably try it this way for a while and see if it still bothers me.

So would it be a good idea to stay away from the detatchable sissy bar and rack? I was thinking of getting one for my Dyna too.

As I've said in an earlier post. Mine is perfect. I recommend the detachable sideplates and backrest from HD.

And on the topic of electrical tape as a damper or to increase the size of the mounting posts.
Electrical tape will get greasy over time. Other tapes will eventually dry out.
I would try heat shrink or epoxy shrink. Epoxy shrink is tougher and will have a thicker and tougher coat. Electrical heat shrink tube will come in the proper size to make this work for your post. it will also cut off very easy and never gets greasy or dries out like tape.

Bigfoot, your solution would last longer, but a $1.50 a roll for tape one roll can last the life of the motorcycle. I haven't experienced it turning greasy.

I have the detachable backrest luggage rack also on my 2006 dyna and at first it didn't rattle but 3 years later it does. Tryed the electrical tape and it worked at first but taking the the backrest off and on it wears out pretty fast and the adhesive does get a little greasy and slide around. Soooo my solution is when I ride single I take it off. When I ride double I put it on with the pressure of a rider against it it doesn't rattle. With my t-bag on loaded with gear it doesn't seem to rattle.

Shack

Back