free website stats program Not good news for the MOCO | Harley Davidson Forums

Not good news for the MOCO

Not a great thing for the workers, or for stockholders at the moment. But on the plus side they are still making a healthy profit unlike 08-09 when they were losing money and shares fell to under $6.00 for a while.

With no Dyna and V-rods being built.There is not much going on in KC. Just Sportster and Streets.Consolidation,just makes sense.

It's not just the MoCo; the aftermarket is taking a beating as well. But don't count the MoCo out. Just read that they plan to introduce up to 100 new models over the next 10 years. Three names that have been published are "Bronx", "48X" and "Pan America". I would expect a revamp of the Sportster line; it is getting old.

The MoCo took moves this model year by dropping the Dyna; mad a lot of folks mad but, from a corporate point of view, makes sense. It will be interesting to watch.;)

Last edited:
What about all the issues with transmission fluid migration on the Milwaukee 8 engine on the Touring Bikes?
There’s an awful lot of loyal customers that aren’t happy either with the issue; or the MOCOs response to their problems.
Customers can vote with their feet and their hard earned.
Harley’s somewhat cavalier attitude to warranty or engineering issues has oftimes left me stumped and bewildered.

What about all the issues with transmission fluid migration on the Milwaukee 8 engine on the Touring Bikes?
There’s an awful lot of loyal customers that aren’t happy either with the issue; or the MOCOs response to their problems.
Customers can vote with their feet and their hard earned.
Harley’s somewhat cavalier attitude to warranty or engineering issues has oftimes left me stumped and bewildered.

That may very well be part of the reason sales are slipping.

What about all the issues with transmission fluid migration on the Milwaukee 8 engine on the Touring Bikes? There’s an awful lot of loyal customers that aren’t happy either with the issue; or the MOCOs response to their problems. Customers can vote with their feet and their hard earned. Harley’s somewhat cavalier attitude to warranty or engineering issues has oftimes left me stumped and bewildered.

Transmission fluid migration is not the only M8 issue; there are others. I hear what you are saying but everyone was warned. The MoCo is well known for using their customer base as beta testers. While I empathize with those unfortunate souls that purchased M8s before they were debugged, they were warned by those of us that have been riding Harleys for 40 or 50 years, I posted such a warning on this forum when the M8 excitement started.;) Still plenty of Twiin Cams available but those that have to have the newest model must understand how the MoCo works and understand that being a beta tester is a crap shoot.:eek:

Customer service has deteriorated significantly in recent years. Being a beta tester is one thing but being a beta tester and then having to deal with a brand that won't stand behind the brand is quite another. You would be surprised how many dealers were not advised of the trans fluid migration issue when it surfaced and when asked by a potential buyer about the issue, could not respond because they had not been informed; the MoCo knew and was keeping a lid on it.o_O

Dealers know about all problems.They get service bulletins and computer alerts.They are not allowed to tell customers that They know of problems.This would follow with all brands.If Your Dealer told You that there were continuous problems.Would You buy the product?

Dealers know about all problems.They get service bulletins and computer alerts.They are not allowed to tell customers that They know of problems.This would follow with all brands.If Your Dealer told You that there were continuous problems.Would You buy the product?

First, I don't rely on a dealer for anything; have never bought a new bike, ride them for years, buy my parts from discount online dealers and do my own service, repairs and performance upgrades.

I have a good friend that has first hand experience with the issue as recent as November last year. Parts guy claimed to know nothing about the issue as did the sales guy. When M-1450 (Revised) and TA0022 were mentioned, sales guy goes his desk, searched HD Net and nothing came up. Now, maybe the sales guy didn't know where to look on HD Net, don't know. Friend suggested he Google M-1450; he did and surprise, surprise, a forum came up with a discussion of the issue. The sales guy was stunned.

I can't say if sales staff is or is not allowed to advise customers of potential problem; however, I do think sales guys should be knowledgeable of the issues so they can discuss them with potential buyers. The MoCo may post tech bulletins, etc. on HD Net but that doesn't translate to universal knowledge in the HD dealer world. It all goes back to dealer service; the MoCo may post the information on HD Net but if the dealerships don't have a standard policy for all parts and sales guys to be aware of the issues should a potential buyer bring the issue up; shame on them. I do think it is the responsibility of the sales guys to be informed and able to discuss known issue with potential buyers. While they may blow smoke up the buyers dress, at least they can blow smoke instead of being ignorant on the issue, which IMHO reflects poorly on the dealership.

So the MoCo can spout all the marvelous features and benefits of a new model but hide the warts and then when the warts show up turn their back on the beta tester that let the MoCo suck their brains out and sell them a lemon.:rolleyes: The MoCo would be far better off letting the consumer know that there have been report of transmission fluid migration but not to worry, they have your back and should the issue surface, bring the bike in and the issue will be resolved. What a concept.;)

Back